Thread: Question about the imitating dart frog.

Ethereal remains

Talking Question about the imitating dart frog.

Hi there!
    I'm new, so bear with me if this question has been asked to death. I just recently became interested in imitating dart frogs and I wanted to know if it is something recommended for a beginning keeper. I know that the caresheet says intermediate, but I know I would be a very capable pet owner. I would definitely do a whole bunch of research before even considering it. I wanna know what you think, especially those of you who keep these frogs.
    I was also wondering how easily obtained they are, because they seem to have tight regulations (with good cause of course!).
    Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Question about the imitating dart frog.

Check out John's article on the subject - Imitating Dart Frog Care

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Kurt, I think he/she means that he/she has read that article already but wants some clarification.

I would say that Ranitomeya imitator is the best or joint best thumbnail dart frog species if you've never kept thumbnail dart frogs before. The other would be R. ventrimaculata (I just got my first "vents" on Saturday actually). However, thumbs are more delicate than larger dart frog species like tinctorius/azureus, leucomelas, auratus, terribilis, etc. When I say more delicate, I mean in comparison with larger species they do not tolerate problems to the same degree - humidity issues (i.e. not enough humidity), food issues (wrong food, too much food, not frequent enough feedings), temperature issues (sudden changes in temperature, inconsistent temperature). So if you've never kept dart frogs before, there will be a steep learning curve. If you want to attempt it, I say get your research done, prepare you terrarium, plant it, secure your fruit flies and figure out how to culture them reliably (we have a great article on this), etc. Get set up at least a month in advance. You don't want to pay out several hundred dollars for a couple of tiny frogs that drop dead on you in the first week or two because of beginner mistakes.

I dived into thumbnails within a month of acquiring my first darts. I was lucky though - I had a lot of experience keeping other frogs for many years, I was also familiar with dart frog requirements, and I was fortunate enough to have some dart frog hobbyists be kind enough to show me their setups and give me lots of tips.

So anyhow, I don't want to put you off trying these frogs - in my opinion, once you have the basics down, they are among the easiest frogs to keep, certainly among the easiest to breed and definitely among the most beautiful. They're pretty cheap to feed too, if you culture your own fruit flies (which you really have no choice but to do).
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Ethereal remains

John,
    Thank you so much for all this information. You are very knowledgeable. The thing is, I haven't kept any exotic pets in my entire life, amphibian or not. I would not want to risk the life of one of these beautiful creatures for my selfish desire to own one! I was at first considering a red-eyed tree frog, but from what I've read, they can be kind of picky as well and are only active at night. I'm just really new to this whole exotic thing entirely, so I'm trying to absorb as much as I can.

bshmerlie

I've had Red Eyes for a couple of years now and everyone told me when I first got them that they were very delicate and hard to care for. But I did a lot of reseach and made sure I had everything setup just right before I got them. I had only been in the frog hobby for about 3 months when I first got them. I've never had any illnesses or any refusals to eat. I consider the "delicate" Red Eye a very easy frog to keep. If you meet their requirements and keep their enclosures clean you will have healthy and happy frogs. I am sure that goes with most speices. Stick with captive bred animals only if you can and really look them over when you go to purchase them and pick out the healthiest, fattest frog you can find. Don't pick the sickly one in the corner because you feel sorry for him. Or as John suggested order from Mike Novy and you are certain to get healthy frogs. As far as which species of frog to get, know what you are looking for in a pet. If you want a frog that is awake in the day then stay away from all frogs that are nocturnal. I never see a single Red Eye awake in the day time. They are all sleeping hidden under a leaf. But I work all day and I'm only home at night so they are the perfect pet for me. If you want a frog that is awake and very easy to care for consider the Fire Bellied toads. They are very active, day and night, they love room temperature, they are extremly easy to feed (they eat anything that will fit) and they come in a very pretty bright green with a red underbelly. Give them a clean water bowl and they're good to go. The fire bellies were my first frogs and they are still the most enjoyable to watch. But my point is don't be afraid when you read on some care sheet that a particular frog is for the intermediate frog keeper. Only you know if you're a responsible pet owner. If you know you're not one who pays close attention to the details then stick with a "beginner" frog so you don't have to worry so much. If you know that you have time to make sure their proper needs are met then don't be afraid and get the species that you really want.

John911

I am a beginner. The Cainarchi Imitators I got from John seem to be doing well. They seem to be most active in the morning, although as of the last few days...the one has been out and calling into the night. Really soft pleasant call too. A few days before I received them, I read somewhere that you really have no idea how small they are until you see them in person. Very true. I opened the box and was like, jesus, theyre smaller than the crickets i feed my bearded dragon. I forgot to post this story when I got them but the ups guy actually did a flip with the box as he was walking up to my front step. I wanted to punch him.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by John911 View Post
    I forgot to post this story when I got them but the ups guy actually did a flip with the box as he was walking up to my front step. I wanted to punch him.
    Good thing I know how to pack them so that's not a huge issue .

And yes, most people's reaction when they see mine is "those are tiny".
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information