Thread: New owner.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Smile New owner.

Hey. i got my pixie over a month ago now and everything is going well. He was about six months old when i got him. Is it best to feed him in his tank or to take him out and feed him in a separate tub. The guy in the pet store said just do it in his tank but all the videos I've seen people are feeding their pixies out in different containers. This is properly a stupid question but i just want a happy healthy frog.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member needs to set country!

Default Re: New owner.

Hi Fin, it really depends on what substrate he is in. Honestly if you have the time I would say yes just to be sure. However, I have been feeding mine for over a year now in his substrate with no issues. Mine has eaten numerous accidental leaves and pieces of moss, but in general he is able to spit most of the dirt out. If there are pebbles in the feeding area of the enclosure I would DEFINITELY either remove them before feeding or put him in a separate container.

In the end, I'd say as long as he's well taken care of that feeding in the tank shouldn't matter too much. However, if you have the time and will to, feeding in an alternate enclosure would be optimal (mostly I just don't have time to)

Good luck with your new frog!
    - Adam

Nationality
    [United States]

i feed all 3 of mine in the cage but i dont have moss or anything but the eco earth because i mist on my own but when they get bigger like near max i view it as it prob is easier for the frog to eat in a smaller box then chasing all of his/her food around a big tank.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Hey guys Im using a fibre brick for the substrate and ive removed all the loose bark off his log just to be safe.He doesn't seem to have a problem getting rid of any soil he picks up when he's feeding. But ive got plenty of time during the day as i work nights so I'll give it go and see how he gets on with it.
    Thanks for the advice its really appreciated.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

I feed Tinkerbell in a separate box, but that's because of "her" problems eating with weak lower jaw. In the box I can make sure she eats all her food and doesn't get full on dirt. The occational pinkie mouse, she can eat in her enclosure though.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilian Feline View Post
    I feed Tinkerbell in a separate box, but that's because of "her" problems eating with weak lower jaw. In the box I can make sure she eats all her food and doesn't get full on dirt. The occational pinkie mouse, she can eat in her enclosure though.
    Ive just started feeding bruce in a separate tub now just to be on the safe side he doesn't seem bothered by it he's just happy to be eating. How old was Tinkerbell when you started giving her pinkies?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

I don't know how old she is and I breed my own mice so it was 1 day old pinkie to a 2 inch frog

Thread Information