Thread: 40 Gallon Tank for One Leopard Frog?

Question 40 Gallon Tank for One Leopard Frog?

Hi!

I was just curious on how much my leopard frog would utilize this space compared to his 20 gallon long as of current.

I know they can travel miles a day and I feel bad that he's in just a 20 gallon long at the moment. All he does is stay in the water (humidity is fine) and rarely goes on land. Do you think if I upgrade him he might start using the space more?

He is not wild caught but from a tadpole to frog kit (by another person, I adopted him) so I can't release him due to state laws, despite him being native.

I would like to do a full live plant set up and do maybe 1/3 water and 2/3 land? Or should I do more water since he spends most his time there? I would do both water and land plants.

Thanks,
    -Alyssa

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 40 Gallon Tank for One Leopard Frog?

I don’t see any disadvantages to upgrading. They are an active species and I’m sure it would be comfortable in a 40 breeder. Finding food may be a bit more challenging if your feeders disperse into the bigger enclosure. However you can always cup or dish feed.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yes a 40 gallon is good the 3foot long tank I think it's the breeder. That plus the width of the tank is good. 2-3 land ratio is better they like to explore on land and go to the water to hydrate or to hide. Make sure you have plants and a hide on land just like in the water. These are active day and night and will sleep in cycles so like the frog might sleep 2-3 days and you might not find it and the frog will stay awake 2-3 days without sleep. It's very interesting to see this. If you need more help let me know!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Leopard frogs are big jumpers, so a bigger tank is better.
    I would make it primarily a terrestrial planted set up; your idea of 1/3 water should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DanDrobates View Post
    I don’t see any disadvantages to upgrading. They are an active species and I’m sure it would be comfortable in a 40 breeder. Finding food may be a bit more challenging if your feeders disperse into the bigger enclosure. However you can always cup or dish feed.
    Thanks for the response!

I do let crickets loose in his tank right now, however most the time I plop them in the water by the dish he sits on and he just eats them right there. He's not shy to being tong feed either so I think on that part he's covered.

Thanks!
    Alyssa

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    Yes a 40 gallon is good the 3foot long tank I think it's the breeder. That plus the width of the tank is good. 2-3 land ratio is better they like to explore on land and go to the water to hydrate or to hide. Make sure you have plants and a hide on land just like in the water. These are active day and night and will sleep in cycles so like the frog might sleep 2-3 days and you might not find it and the frog will stay awake 2-3 days without sleep. It's very interesting to see this. If you need more help let me know!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the response!

Yes the 40 breeder is indeed 3 feet long. I'm glad to hear that he doesn't need a huge amount of water space, he enjoys it but I'd like to do primarily land plants as I find then easier to deal with.

I've never heard of them sleeping or staying awake so long, how interesting! Ill have to keep an eye on that for sure. He isn't a frog I can handle (he's a nervous wreak when taken out of the tank) so I don't mind if he's gone for awhile. I just want my little guy to be happy.

Thanks and I will let you know any further questions
    Alyssa

Quote Originally Posted by Herpin Man View Post
    Leopard frogs are big jumpers, so a bigger tank is better.
    I would make it primarily a terrestrial planted set up; your idea of 1/3 water should be fine.
    Thanks for the response!

Yes I've heard they like to jump and move around a lot which initially I read they can be in a 10 gallon for one individual one, which seems really small. His 20 gallon long doesn't look all that bad, but I'd like him to have a bit more roam to roam.

Thanks,
    Alyssa

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That’s excellent then. Good luck with your build.

Thread Information