Thread: Hornworms + Water Crystals

Default Hornworms + Water Crystals

Small disclaimer, the hornworm in question is a pet and not a feeder. My frogs wouldn't eat it so now it's my little pet.

So I've always heard that hornworms don't need water crystals because they eat it in the veggies and fruit.

However when I gave him celery, orange, lettuce, carrot, watermellon, and water crystals he went ham on the crystals.

Is this ok to feed him if he wants them?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hornworms + Water Crystals

Hornworms have very specific dietary needs and there is hornworm chow available online. They feed exclusively on tomato or tobacco leaves which in turn makes them inedible to most predators. The water gel crystals have no nutritional value so if your worm is consuming it be advised it’s not offering any value to its growth. Try and find hornworm chow online. The recipe is a trade secret so I wouldn’t try to duplicate it at home.

Quote Originally Posted by DanDrobates View Post
    Hornworms have very specific dietary needs and there is hornworm chow available online. They feed exclusively on tomato or tobacco leaves which in turn makes them inedible to most predators. The water gel crystals have no nutritional value so if your worm is consuming it be advised it’s not offering any value to its growth. Try and find hornworm chow online. The recipe is a trade secret so I wouldn’t try to duplicate it at home.
    Thanks for the response!

Actually he's doubled in size since I got him and I've never purchased any chow. He started on just carrots and that seems to be what he prefers as well as the crystals for whatever reason. I'm not concerned about him growing to be honest since I can't feed him to any of my frogs, the frogs are to spoiled apparently to want to eat it.

I have a tomato plant leaves I could toss in there I suppose, but he seems fine on the carrots for whatever reason.

Thanks!
    Alyssa

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That’s great that yours takes carrots. I must have misread your post. I was under the impression that it was only taking water crystals and nothing else. You fall into a very small margin of people whose worms will take other food sources. Most do not. If your lucky it will pupate and you’ll get to enjoy it as a moth.

Quote Originally Posted by DanDrobates View Post
    That’s great that yours takes carrots. I must have misread your post. I was under the impression that it was only taking water crystals and nothing else. You fall into a very small margin of people whose worms will take other food sources. Most do not. If your lucky it will pupate and you’ll get to enjoy it as a moth.
    Sorry I must not have been very clear Ya I've heard some people's have been strictly chow feed, I have no clue why mine is eating carrots. He eats at least 1/2 a baby carrot a day, which is bigger then his is.

I hope he turns into a moth, it would be an interesting experience!

Thanks!
    Alyssa

Thread Information