Thread: Cane toad behaviour?

Default Cane toad behaviour?

My cane toad(bubby) shes constantly hiding, being innactive and whenever I pick her up she tries to "urinate" on me. Is there a way to get her to stop this? Shes been like this for a couple of months now. Is there a way I can get her to stop hiding constantly? Maybe Iam doing something wrong? I rose up the humidity up to 80percent. Temps are lowered to 72 degrees. Anything I can do? She eats. but not infront of me. :/

Ps: Shes also 4.5 inches long. I dont know her age. I dont know if shes extremely old or anything. Is there a way to tell?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Cane toad behaviour?

Just leave her be, she'll eventually warm up to you. However, it may take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Just leave her be, she'll eventually warm up to you. However, it may take a while.
    Iam curious will she ever warm up? I mean now shes better than before. I can hold her for a few seconds before shes goes all crazy on me which first she kicks and tries to get off and then she urinates. Its annoying because its like a water gun. Its not drip its literary shot at you. I know its not really urine. I just wish I could get to see her more often. When shes actually out soaking or sitting around and I go to look at her. She freezes. When I turn around she frantically hides. Its kinda adorable but kinda annoying to look at. You'd think after so many months itd be used to you. But yeah.
    Edit: Heck I wanted to buy a male because I have enough room for both of them. But I was figuring it maybe pointless. Though id love to hear their melodies. Ironically I love toad melodies more than frog melodies. Except coquis of course. But anyways I just dont know what to do. I only try to hold her everyonce in a while. I dont know if I should be doing it daily? I just do it every week or every other week.

Kurt

I wouldn't bother hold her at all. I don't know a single toad that tolerates holding.

I wouldn't bother hold her at all. I don't know a single toad that tolerates holding.
    Iam worried at the fact it just hides constantly.

Kurt

Give it plenty of time.

Give it plenty of time.
    Have you ever had this problem? How long it took you?

Kurt

It can take months. My Colorado River toad still hides/fleas when I open the cage and I have had him almost two years now.

It can take months. My Colorado River toad still hides/fleas when I open the cage and I have had him almost two years now.
    Its more when I approach the terrarium.

RikoAustria

Just leave it alone for a while... The more you bother it, the longer it will take for it to get 'comfortable'

Quote Originally Posted by RikoAustria View Post
    Just leave it alone for a while... The more you bother it, the longer it will take for it to get 'comfortable'
    Okay thank you.

Thread Information