Thread: Adspersus, edulis, comparison, thoughts, experiences?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

Default Adspersus, edulis, comparison, thoughts, experiences?

My hubby had a large male P adspersus that sadly died after expelling its bowles. I remember the frog for its size, but we hadn't been together that long when it died, so my experience was limited. Still, the specie made an impression, and when comming across them I always liked them.
    I then saw a giant and a dwarf (edulis) side by side at an expo, and liked both.

When I found Tinkerbell in my local reptile shop, I was given a nice price, and took it home, thinking I had found a giant. The idea of naming a giant male pixie "Tinkerbell" formed in my mind, and that's why I named it that, thinking the name would be fitting either way.

I asked here at the forum, about the deformed mouth/jaw and the problems in eating, and was told that it looked like it was an edulis. I looked over a lot of images, and do agree, for now.

Reading here, I see a lot of comments on the dissapointments on having dwarves instead of giants. My hubby thought dwarves might be more expensive, but from what I read here I'm not sure.

With Tinkerbell having to be assited when feeding, I don't mind it being a dwarf, but most info seem to be about adspersus, so I would like to know if there is a differense in care between them, which one is more common as pets (in different regions around the globe), and if they can be differentiated at a very early stage, or if the both look the same as froglets.

Pictures and links are helpful. I know adults are easy to tell appart, but if I look for a young one, how do I know what I pick up?
    Also, sexing in edulis, at what size?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Adspersus, edulis, comparison, thoughts, experiences?

Adspersus tend to look more "neon" or bright green when juveniles, not always but usually, and sometimes have pointier mouths.... then the green gets more dull later on as time goes by and it grows. Edulis doesn't change much. I have both. I've had my edulis for about 8 years and I love him soooooooooooooo, soooooooooooooo much. Originally, we all thought he was an adpersus too(I was new to the species then), but I kept him anyway and I am so glad I did. Taking care of him has had such a healing effect on me. The adspersus is WAY more expensive to take car of. They can eat all day every day, 50 large crickets at a time plus worms etc, then still want more. Daily. The edulis only ate a lot when it was young, unassisted, then had to be assisted later in life and only eats 1 worm a day now, to every other day. Sometimes he's very fussy (the longest was about 2 weeks), and I will have to give him a honey bath to make him want food. He's such a cool frog though, you will love him! Edulis is more active when younger, later on they tend to sit around and bury their butts in the mud and don't do much but they're so cute. Keep them misted, they LOVE fresh soil....mine croaks and squaks for hours every soil change, put them in the pool once in a while if they're being lazy (you may have to remove them from the pool too haha). They definitely need babysitting later in life but it's worthwhile. I just joined so I am unsure how to post pics atm, but you can email or message me. I have so many pics and videos.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

Default Re: Adspersus, edulis, comparison, thoughts, experiences?

Thanks!

I use imgur for images... seems to work fine.

I worry that Tinkerbell has it too moist... the soil (peat) is wet all the time. (S)he likes a swim after feeding, but sitting in the damp all the time... is that OK?

I tried to feed earthworms, but they are slippery and contracts when scared, so Tinkerbell had a lot of trouble eating them. Somehow, the sight of the spoon I use to help kept her going even if I thought she might give up. Pinkie mice are great food though... I don't even need to move her to her feeding box.

Thread Information