Thread: Need Proper Heating Source!

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Default Need Proper Heating Source!

If you own a White's tree frog or similar species please tell me what kind of bulb or heating source I need to keep my frog alive. It's getting closer to winter so its starting to drop down to temperatures such as 65 degrees F and will get worse as winter arrives. I would like to get at least 80 degrees F and whatever light bulb I have right now isn't working. I would obviously need a bulb with UV for my frog as he isn't looking too good rn. I have a heating pad on the side of my 10 gallon terrarium, it works fine but I ultimately need something to boost the temperature from 65 to 75-85 F. Just tell me what works for you, especially if you too live in a colder climate. THANKS!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Need Proper Heating Source!

Hi Yoda!

I'm a new frog owner, but I will do my best to help you. I don't know which ones have UV, however I can recommend a few bulbs for heating. I'm sure the more experienced can fully tell you what you need, but I'll do my best.

What I use for my Whites Tree Frog is a halogen bulb 25 watt which has brought my temperature up quite a few degrees. I would like to share my house is 68 - 70 degrees and my W.T.F.s cage is an Exo Terra 18" 18" 24" which is about 33 gallons. I wanted to include that for comparison. My cage is now 75-78 degrees so I'm going to purchase the 50 watt to hopefully get in the 80 - 85 F range,

I know you mentioned you have a 10 gallon right now which makes it a bit easier to help. According to the reviews it does put out UV (I just found that out!)

They have a handy guide to decide which bulb you will need, however should you choose this bulb I would recommend the 25 watt to start with since you only have a 10 gallon tank. It may prove to be to strong without the heat pad even, so please monitor how hot it gets.

Here are the links for everything you need for this kind of bulb, I highly recommend then and my frog is super active with his on.

This is the 25 watt (it comes in day blue or night red)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009CVY91E...ing=UTF8&psc=1

This is the 50 watt version which I suspect may be to strong for you. (It comes in day white, day blue, and night red.)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GHI6WW...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the lamp needed to use these bulbs (assuming you don't have one)
    https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptile...ywords=halogen

There are also ceramic bulbs which produce heat but no light (I don't know if they have UV.) They will cost a bit more but if neither halogen bulbs work for you then you could try these as they come in less intense heating ranges or more intense.

I personally love my halogen bulb and if it works for a 33 gallon then I suspect it would for a 10 gallon, worse thing I can think of is that it would be to strong. I bought it due to the good reviews, energy saving, and the fact that it was less then $20 for the whole setup.

The only con I can think of is that sometimes my Whites Tree Frog will bask under it so I have to spray him down or his skin gets very dry.

Thanks,
    Alyssa

I use a combo deep domed lamp with a high wattage basking bulb and some random bulb i found in my basement (other basking light stopped working). It makes the air temperature around 60 to 65 degrees and the surface temperature of my substrate is around 90 degrees right under the lamp but it goes down to ~70 degrees at the edge of the tank during the day. You could use a red or blue basking bulb if you want to also heat up the tank during the night.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Thanks Alyssa and otofrog for your help! Before reading this I actually purchased a 75 watt basking spot lamp for my frog and it doesn't appear to be to much at all. It will be very good for countering my cold basement and it should be enough for when winter comes. Before this all had was a 13 watt UVB bulb or something like that and it was very bad. After research I've done today I came to realize that my tomato frog a couple years back probably died because it didn't have the UVA essential to digesting his food. If there isn't enough heat then frogs food will apparently not digest properly and rot, this is probably why he didn't eat for two weeks and died. Now I will be testing this bulb for the next few days to make sure it isn't too hot.

Also, would you recommend another lamp such as red light during the night to help keep him warm or can the night be cold. Apparently W.T.F.s can handle down to 20 celcius or 67 F.

My room is pretty warm and gets to around 50 to 60 degrees during the night depending on the season, it has never harmed my frogs. So just figure out the temperature of the room they'll be in and base it off of there.

Thread Information