Thread: Cane toad help?

Nationality
    [United States]

Exclamation Cane toad help?

So at a reptile expo I was told that a cane toad was a "Giant floridian marine toad" which confused me, I've never heard of that before, so I bought it after being told some information. I got home with it I and looked up a care guide I found out it was a Cane toad! I was very unprepared for what a cane toad needed and I cant find much information, can someone please help?
    Some of the information I need: Can they be kept in groups?
    What is their minimum tank size for 2 cane toads (1 if they can't be put in groups)
    Their behavior
    Diet
    Information about their poison
    Can their tanks be 1/3 water and 2/3 coconut fiber?

Current tank: 20 gallons
    Name:  cane toad.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  82.8 KB

I was told the toad is young and it looks very small compared to pictures I've seen

I have a basic aquarium hood with an incandescent aquarium bulb but im planning on using a proper reptile/amphibian hood with a 75 watt daylight bulb
    Last edited by Nevernoire; September 10th, 2018 at 10:07 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Cane toad help?

A show of the situation and circumstance is launched for the definition of the ranked items for the fieldwork. The improvement of the best assignment writer uk is highlighted for the mixed approach. The turn is hoisted for the turns of the mode. Posture is doe for the halted items for the arguments for the fiberglass for the families.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Nevernoire View Post
    So at a reptile expo I was told that a cane toad was a "Giant floridian marine toad" which confused me, I've never heard of that before, so I bought it after being told some information. I got home with it I and looked up a care guide I found out it was a Cane toad! I was very unprepared for what a cane toad needed and I cant find much information, can someone please help?
    Some of the information I need: Can they be kept in groups?
    What is their minimum tank size for 2 cane toads (1 if they can't be put in groups)
    Their behavior
    Diet
    Information about their poison
    Can their tanks be 1/3 water and 2/3 coconut fiber?

Current tank: 20 gallons
    Name:  cane toad.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  82.8 KB

I was told the toad is young and it looks very small compared to pictures I've seen

I have a basic aquarium hood with an incandescent aquarium bulb but im planning on using a proper reptile/amphibian hood with a 75 watt daylight bulb
    Hi! Cane Toads are Giant Neotropical Marine Toads and grow to be very large, generally 4-6" but can reach up to 10" under the right conditions. I can't tell what size tank you have by the picture, but toads of that size are going to require A LOT more room. For 2 toads, I wouldn't go smaller than a 30 gallon tank. Even though they are a marine toad, they can withstand a drier environment, so even upgrading to a larger tank... I don't think 1/3 needs to be water filled. I don't know if you checked Wikipedia for information, but you can find a lot of details there. They are a highly toxic toad and it has been reported that people have used their toxin to poison/kill other people, so handle with extreme care! It is also been reported that many human deaths have occurred because people have deliberately ingested their toxin with the purpose of getting high... the toxin causes hallucinations, so people would abuse the substance to trip out and accidental overdoses/deaths have occurred. If you have children or pets... do not allow them to have access to the toads and be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling them! I've only ever encountered them while I was on vacation in Barbados and was fascinated by them, particularly because of they way they move around. They don't always hop like you would think a toad does but they are known to walk on all four legs! I was curious about them so I spoke with some natives of Barbados and they told me a lot about them. As the toads grow larger, they tend to go after larger prey suck as snakes, lizards & rodents! Because of their toxicity, they have very few predators and their populations can grown out of control. If you haven't visited Wikipedia, I would suggest to start there and I'm sure you will receive a lot more advice from the forum members here! Good luck!
    ~Cathy

I have learned... still learning... ALWAYS LEARNING!
    Every moment is a teachable moment!
    Mistakes are not always a terrible thing, especially when you learn from them!

Hi Nevernoire, in addition to what Cathy said, you should definitely check and make sure that cane toads are legal to keep in your area. In my state they are illegal unfortunately and in many other states like California they are a prohibited species. This is because of the fact that they are a well known invasive species and destroy the ecosystems in which they become introduced. This could make it difficult to get them checked by a veterinarian but I'm not entirely sure if exotic vets can / will turn away illegal species.

Thread Information