Thread: Humidity in the substrate - want to prevent red leg

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

Question Humidity in the substrate - want to prevent red leg

I'm not sure exactly how to make sure my little Tinkerbell doesn't end up with red leg. "She" sits in moist substrate all the time and sometimes in the water dish. She gets a bit pink on her legs and that scares me. She is a lovely little thing. As far as I know she is a P edulis, and the info on them isn't as easy to come by as the info on adspersus.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Humidity in the substrate - want to prevent red leg

Red leg isn’t a single condition. It’s a common name for any of several infections that present as edema and redness around the underside and limbs. Generally these infections are brought on by stress and poor husbandry. As long as your substrate is kept clean you should have little to worry about. What are you presently using?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

I'm using peat at the moment, no additives. The little one is plump and well fed, but the misshapen lower jaw makes feeding a struggle so I help her a lot. It seems that she is taking this well and doesn't appear to be stressed by it. With my help she eats a lot, although the supplements doesn't always stay on the food by the time she gets it into her mouth. I feed her in a separate box and give her a bath in the same box after feeding so some of the supplements end up in her bath water and I hope she can absorb some that way.

Because I handle her a lot, I also check her belly to have a look at her jaw and so on, and the pink colour makes me wonder if she isn't sitting in "bad" substrate. Is peat bad? Do I need to change it once a week? Any help is welcome!

Nationality
    [United States]

I’ve never used peat as a substrate so I cannot comment on it from personal experience. It is naturally acidic and antimictobial though which is good. I’d recommend changing it after it gets soiled by the frog.

You mentioned two things in your post that caught my attention though. The misshapen jaw and the frequent handling are both potential causes for stress and stress equals a weakened immune system. A weakened immune system is an open door for opportunistic infections that fit into the red leg spectrum. I’d recommend handling as little as possible unless the jaw condition requires it. Wear gloves when you handle and keep everything clean.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

I did read up a bit more on red leg, and I do worry that handling might stress her too much.
    However... the jaw makes it virtually impossible for her to feed on her own in her tank, so I move her gently to the feeding box. She has figured out that the spoon I use to move the runners and other live food to her is a good thing, she lunges for it, expecting food. When she has eaten, with me helping with the spoon or changing the incline of the fiding box (she eats better on an incline), I pour water in the box for her to swim and wash. I gently pick her up to check her underside to make sure she isn't too raw around her mouth from hard insects.
    She doesn't seem too stressed from this, she seems to understand that feeding time includes a bit of handling. When she is done, I put her back in her encluser and leave her alone. She poops in the water bowl so I change the water when it's soiled.

I'm thinking I might add a bit more ventilation. One of the things I read about red leg was that lower humidity was helpful.

She is growing steadily now that she actually gets food inside of her and I'm hoping that with time she will have a large enough mouth to eat on her own without my help. I'm trying to teach her that she can get food in her mouth on her own, but she gets overly excited when she is being fed so she just bumps her nose a lot. When she calms down she manages to get some of the food in her, but the spoon helps a lot. Worms and pinkies are easier for her to grab on to, but runners are useful for her feeding respons and variaton. (and my pinkie "farm" isn't produsing at the moment).

From what I understand, peat is nice for frogs, just as you mentioned, Dan.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok, given the circumstances (the jaw)you’re fortunate your frog continues to eat well and grow. As long as the substrate is clean I wouldn’t worry. Opportunistic infections are always possible even under optimal conditions so keep doing what you’re doing and hopefully it will never be a problem. Good luck

Thread Information