Thread: Housing/Breeding Question WTF

Question Housing/Breeding Question WTF

Hello!

Species - Whites Tree Frog

I have a question about housing a few whites tree frogs together and whether it's something I'm interested in.

Do Whites Tree Frogs ever feel lonely in captivity and feel more comfortable with others in the habitat with them?

How is it when keeping whites tree frogs male to female (I have one presumed male) I'm not interested in breeding at all but am worried if I mistakenly purchase a female.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Housing/Breeding Question WTF

I have 2 males and 1 female housed in a 40g long on it’s side. They cannot breed unless you provide a rain chamber for them.
    But its a 20g for 1, 30g for 2, 40g for 3, etc.
    Anyway, they don’t get lonely or “need” company but I like to offer it.

4. This member thanks RainesRockinReptiles for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by RainesRockinReptiles View Post
    I have 2 males and 1 female housed in a 40g long on it’s side. They cannot breed unless you provide a rain chamber for them.
    But its a 20g for 1, 30g for 2, 40g for 3, etc.
    Anyway, they don’t get lonely or “need” company but I like to offer it.
    Thanks RainesRockinReptiles for the helpful response. I've heard about rain chambers and am glad to hear they can't breed without one. I don't know whether he would like company or not but I like you way of thinking. I will still have to think on adding one, however I greatly appreciate the advice!

On a side note I love the use of pool noodles, I've never thought of that before. Love the creativity!

Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I don't think we can know 100% how a frog feels, but they aren't social animals in the wild (except at breeding time) and I don't think they really have the brain structure for bonding with others so it's a safe bet they don't feel lonely. However, if you have two frogs you get to have the fun of watching them sit on one another.

The rain chamber thing is true, they need special conditions since they have a rainy season in their own countries. I've heard of one owner who had frogs try to mate out of season, but nothing happened from that.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have heard the contrary to the answers given. The White's tree frog is one of few species in the wild that is communal meaning they hangout in groups. They don't care for one another like humans but these frogs do actually enjoy the company from other tree frogs. I have seen this information in various places of White's tree frogs being communal. I do believe there are benefits to having sexed pairs of species because it can bring out different behavior for some amphibians. I notice with my American Toads they seem to enjoy having the opposite sex in their habitat. I can say from experience two male toads don't get along and show stressful behavior. Two females I'm learning do not have problems like two males. Having a female and male together could cause certain frogs to call more and feel more dominant. Some frogs call in captivity yes but when they have a female in their setup it's their nature to want to show they are strong and capable of breeding so it gives them more reason to preform more as a dominant male. This is more pond frogs and some tree frogs. Southern species might not need to hibernate so having a male and female could potentially mate like green frogs. If you get these frogs from your area if they breed within a time limit would be able to be taken to the wild.

Amphibians are mostly solitary creatures yes but they do come across one another in the wild and some species will more then others so to have a sexed pair wouldn't really be harmful and can lead to benefits depending on your needs.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thread Information