Thread: Camel "Cave" Crickets as feeders?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Camel "Cave" Crickets as feeders?

I was wondering if anyone has used this species of cricket as a feeder for their setups? I saw a video of a Gray Tree Frog eating one and wondered if they were safe and if anyone has tried it. Here is the species I'm specifically talking about

Spotted Camel Cricket(Ceuthophilus*maculatus

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Camel "Cave" Crickets as feeders?

Haha I have literally hundreds of these in my basement. I’ve considered them as feeders but I opted against it because they essentially eat garbage and I have no idea of their nutritional content. I suppose they need to be beta tested though. In all seriousness though I’d advise against them since they are wild insects and who knows what parasites they may harbor.

4. This member thanks DanDrobates for this post:

Nope. 'Cause they are wild insects and they eat garbage...
    When life knocks you down, roll over, and look at the stars.
    gmail sign up

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by willchase View Post
    Nope. 'Cause they are wild insects and they eat garbage...
    Why does it matter if they are wild? Using wild insects that are found in the woods is safe.

I once smashed one in my basement and this black juice came out. It looked like and had the consistency of soy sauce.

Can't imagine that'd be good for frogs.

8. This member thanks otofrog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm not too sure what the difference would be between wild cave crickets and regular crickets out in the wilderness what they would eat. I have found a species of these cave crickets and in abandoned tunnel that has no way of any pesticides coming onto the area. It's also a bunch of trails that are going in through the woods so this area where I would be getting these crickets from has not had any human interaction for at least 40 years. these crickets I have been finding on the walls at a certain time at night or whenever it rains and I'm not sure about where they go during the day. Probably somewhere in the tunnel but for what those crickets eat specifically I would imagine would have to be fruits and vegetables that are around them in the woods that are grown from wild plants. Because all crickets to my knowledge in North America at least in the Northeast all eat the same variety of food. They are omnivores so it's very surprising to hear about how these crickets are garbage. I'm not saying I disagree with any of you I'm just giving you background knowledge on the Crickets that I'm specifically talking about. I'm not talking about the Crickets you find in your house and I know these crickets are this crickets but the species that I have found of them living in a cave out in the middle of the Woods would potentially be a lot more nutritious than what the Crickets in someone's house would be. These are also crickets that would be used to feed American toads and Eastern gray tree frogs. I have seen a bunch of American toads on the trails in the middle of the night when the Crickets are out but I have never seen a toad go in the tunnels not saying that it's not possible I have just never seen it. But I don't think that would be the only place these crickets would go. I'm just giving everybody like I said some understanding of the situation. I think the comment about them needing further testing would be the best judgement on these crickets because there is no information of anybody using them as a feeder. I cannot use these as a feeder currently because there are ways that they could potentially escape and I'm not having 50 cave crickets get loose in my room! I don't care if they're nutritious or not I'm not having to deal with them or get bit by any of them!

Thread Information