Thread: 6 gallon ok for a FBT or two??

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default 6 gallon ok for a FBT or two??

Hey everyone! I have a question involving Fire Belly Tosds. So I have a 6 gallon tank that is currently empty and I was wondering if it’s pissible to keep a FBT in it. I was thinking of sloping some black sand/gravel to make 2/3 land and 1/3 water. I would put some anubias plants and a moss ball at the bottom as well as some floating duckweed or frogweed. I have a nice piece of mopani driftwood that I would submerge part way into the water and some java moss that I would put along the “shore” into the water. The water would be filtered with a sponge filter. On land I would do ecoearth/coco fiber planted with some philodendron and maybe some ferns or palms, plus a hiding cave. Im pretty sure they don’t need a heat source and it would always be about 70-75 F* in the tank, and I would have the typical fluorescent lighting if that sounds ok. I have another frog and we
    always go to the pet store weekly for crickets or mealworms, plus I already have calcium powder. I already have all of the supplies needed for this setup, I would just need to get the toad(s)! Is this setup ok for 1 (or maybe 2???) fire belly toad? Please let me know!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: 6 gallon ok for a FBT or two??

Anyone? I would love help and appreciate all input/advice!

What I've heard as a general rule is 10 gallons per frog, however I once had two FBTs in a 10 gallon tank and they were fine. I've now upgraded mine to a 30 gallon tank though

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

There’s no way your going to fit all that decor in a 6 gallon. Go with a 10 and you’ll have better results.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I had read that a 10 gallon is good for 2-3 toads and that the general rule is 4-5 gallons per toad. I have read multiple articles that say that a single toad can be housed in a 5 gallon and if you want more, do 5 gallons for each one, so 2 in a 10, 3 in a 15, 4 in a 20, etc. and I know it sounds like a lot, but it is possible to fit everything in. I do the gravel slope, put the ecoearth on the land part, have the hide in the back left corner, put some philodendron around it on each side, put the mopani wood in the back right/middle going onto the land a bit, put in my two small anubias plants, fill with water and add some duckweed and java moss. Done! It’s hard to picture without seeing everything, but take my word for it, it is quite possible to fit it all.

Thread Information