Thread: pacman frog morph ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default pacman frog morph ?

i recently got this pacman frog (named Packie), she is obviously a type of albino but she doesnt look like any of the morphs i have looked up so far. she was being sold by the petstore as a "strawberry" wich she obviously is not. any help is appreciated ^^
    Name:  IMG_1849.JPG
Views: 634
Size:  2.97 MBName:  IMG_1867.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  1.73 MBName:  IMG_1875.JPG
Views: 572
Size:  2.38 MBName:  IMG_1981.JPG
Views: 576
Size:  1.26 MBName:  IMG_1979.JPG
Views: 632
Size:  1.19 MBName:  IMG_1995.JPG
Views: 876
Size:  1.30 MB

Member needs to set country!

Default Re: pacman frog morph ?

You have a lovely frog and I'm not sure of the specific morph, but I'm a little concerned about the lower jaw. Often times it only looks like that with a calcium deficiency. Did you plan on taking Packie in for an initial exam at a vet? It might be a good idea. For now, just be sure to dust her food with calcium powder with or without vitamin D3 depending on your lighting setup.

really? i had not noticed anything off with her jaw- but then again she is my first pacman.
    unfortunately i am not packie's first home.
    anyways she eats like a champ and even tries to swallow the tongs along with the food, her hold on them is strong, i was already dusting her food with calcium powder (with d3 she has no lights)

as for the vet.. it might be hard right now (mom had a knee surgery) but not impossible in the near future.

A sign of MBD in frogs can be an "underbite", or the bottom lip of the jaw sticking out. You usually see very little of the yellow in their mouth when it is closed, but thankfully Packie's case doesn't seem too bad. Judging from what you write, this likely occurred in her first home. It's great she's so enthusiastic about eating! However, it's still good to be cautious. MBD can be a slow, sneaky monster; an animal can still behave normally before it worsens and more worrying symptoms appear. As long as you keep dusting her food, she should be okay!

As for the vet, she is eating and behaving like a pacman should, so I wouldn't worry too much. In Packie's case, you would just want a vet to give her a look over and make sure she has good bone density.

EDIT: Also, I tried to do some digging for possible morphs and Underground Reptiles has a Lemon Albino that could be a possible match!

thats a relief, i'll be keeping an eye on her and dust her food. can you give exemples of what i should look for in more worrying symptoms?

because i think she has another mbd symptom... she does not use one of her front legs. its just always resting Under her, sometimes it looks like the leg is missing but.. its there Under her, it does not seem to stop her from moving since she changes spots in her terrarium. she just looks abit off balance when she moves

i looked at that leg because i was worried she might have hurt it but it looks exactly like her other front leg, its not crooked and feels just as firms as the one she does use. when you mentionned mbd it clicked that this might be the cause of her leg.

you can see how she holds herself here:
    Name:  IMG_1994.JPG
Views: 571
Size:  1.34 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear her leg is giving her trouble. Unfortunately, that can be another sign of MBD. Bones can become deformed or fractured from calcium deficiency, though since you said it felt firm, this may have occurred in the past and is hopefully only a lingering disfigurement. Here is a link with other signs of MBD: PetMD

Keep in mind that when you do take her to a vet, they might want to do blood tests or x-rays, so her bill might be hefty. If anything, hopefully they can just feel her bones to see how strong they are and maybe do a blood test just to be sure. Until then, just keep dusting her tasty food! Packie is very lucky she got an owner who cares so much.

Thread Information