Thread: 55 Gallon Southern Woods Bottomland

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default 55 Gallon Southern Woods Bottomland

I have done my research and I am rehousing my Skinks and Giant North American Millipedes. I am going to create something I've never seen before and I have never attempted before. So I am going to recreate a bottomland from the southern part of the United States and I'm going to have a large water area and have PVC pieces holding up a land area. The PVC will hold up egg crate and then pond liner. Then I'll have soil and plants up top as well as some spots the Skinks and Millipedes can hide. Both the Skinks and Millipedes burrow so I'll have 4 inches or more of soil so the land platform will be held down. Next in the paludarium part of the enclosure I will have mosquito fish and a male Musk Turtle. I will have various spots for the turtle to climb up on. The turtle won't be able to climb the land platform to keep the Millipedes and Skinks safe. Both of these species climb and inhabit the same type of setup just at opposite times. During the day the Skinks will be active and at night the Millipedes will be active and they live together now. I'll have an underwater cave and have a platform for the turtle to climb on and he can hide and swin to here. Both the lizards and turtle need a basking spot and they can tolerate a similar heat of 90's. I'll have a branch or something set closer to the top of the enclosure and have a basking platform in the water and the top basking spot will be right above the bottom basking spot so both reptiles can bask at the same time. The Skinks will have 4 feet in length and the background to climb on which will have multiple mushroom platforms at the top of the tank. The turtle will have 4 feet in length to swim so everyone will have their own space and like I said the Skinks and Millipedes live together now and the turtle can live with the fish. If he eats some then he does I have a lot and they keep breeding lol. The only concern that I'm meeting with this is the turtle climbing on the land. The Musk Turtle doesn't go on land and I'm going to make the water level too low for the turtle to climb up. Everything will be setup but I won't have the turtle for a while. I'll have updates when the tank is built. I'm willing to answer any questions anyone has!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 55 Gallon Southern Woods Bottomland

I have some sad news. My 55 gallon isn't going to be able to house anything I was moving it today and it broke so now I'm going to just house the Skinks and Millipedes in a 30 Gallon. It's a good thing I didn't have the turtle yet! Maybe this is a sign!

I am going to create a post for two tanks in the same thread because I don't have enough time to be that specific with 4 tanks so I'm going to talk about my two exotic setups in the same place. I'll post it in the Skinks and Tree Frogs/Frogs subforums

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 55 Gallon Southern Woods Bottomland

To catch up with the story for the Exotic Animals checkout the link below
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Thread Information