Thread: Grey Tree Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Grey Tree Frog

I am in the market for a Grey Tree Frog! I have everything set up, only to find that the shops in Wisconsin cannot sell native herps. If anyone here could help out, that would be great! PM me please! Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Grey Tree Frog

Since they are native to your area, why not just catch a wild one?
    Any that you would find for sale would be wild caught anyway.

4. This member thanks Herpin Man for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I was really hoping to find someone that breeds so that they aren't being taken out of the environment. Otherwise I totally would just go out and grab one, haha.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I'm not saying that they have never been bred in captivity, because they have. However I would be surprised if you find captive bred specimens offered for sale.
    You are right to be concerned about environmental impact. I would suggest collecting a tadpole or newly transformed froglet, rather than a breeding age adult, for that reason.

7. This member thanks Herpin Man for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

You're right. I was looking online and the places that sell charge ridiculous shipping ($44.99). It is the time of year where they come out of the pond by me. Maybe I'll harvest a froglet.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It could be against the law state to state to ship one of these frogs. I am all for the law and conservation of native amphibians but I also understand we are allowed to own native species which varies state to state. I think as long as someone will care for the specimen the best they can then there isn't a problem with keeping native species. Btw there are also rules in some states that you cannot own a captive bred specimen of a native species. Like an Eastern Spadefoot Toad or Smooth Green Snake in PA you are not technically allowed to own either of these even if they are captive.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

They are for sale from Backwater reptiles and LLL reptiles on the internet. Josh doesn't care about american frogs.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by JGuinan007 View Post
    They are for sale from Backwater reptiles and LLL reptiles on the internet. Josh doesn't care about american frogs.
    Backwater reptiles isn't that good of a source for animals. Most, if not all places you'll find this species for sale are mass collected from the wild, and then sold to various stores, such as Backwater, LLL, and most people who have this species for sale. Most of those frogs don't do very well, due to the stress of shipping and oftentimes incorrect care during transit, so at that rate it would be better to have an enclosure already prepared, and to field collect a few of them. There is also a good care-guide for this species on this very website, if anyone needs it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    Backwater reptiles isn't that good of a source for animals. Most, if not all places you'll find this species for sale are mass collected from the wild, and then sold to various stores, such as Backwater, LLL, and most people who have this species for sale. Most of those frogs don't do very well, due to the stress of shipping and oftentimes incorrect care during transit, so at that rate it would be better to have an enclosure already prepared, and to field collect a few of them. There is also a good care-guide for this species on this very website, if anyone needs it.
    I'm also going to create a care sheet in September for the Gray Tree Frog!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    OK fine, here is a link to someone selling them off ebay hand raised https://www.ebay.com/itm/Live-Frogs-...53.m1438.l2649 man tough room just trying to help out.

Thread Information