Thread: Need advise for improving my ACF's living conditions

Default Need advise for improving my ACF's living conditions

Hello! I'm a new member here. I use the screen name TheModernHermit. I chose this name because I own hermit crabs. I was taking care of them all wrong for a very long time due to improper care guides circulating. I try as hard as I can to learn and educate on proper pet care (hence the name, The modern care for pets)
    Anyway, turns out I've been taking care of my ACF wrong for years. I got him from the company Grow-a-frog. Maybe some people find their care recommendations perfectly okay, but after reading a little about the ACF I've decided that keeping them this way is wrong.
    So, I have a 10g tank that I'd like to move my little guy into. That's about all I know, after that I'm pretty lost. So here are my questions.

-Should I use the extra substrate that is left from the grow-a-frog kit? I know gravel isn't recommended. I have a ton of play sand and Eco Earth laying around from my hermit crab enclosure that I can use. I know ACFs are messy, so what will be the easiest to clean? I prefer not to do a bare bottom, for decorative purposes.

-Filters? I know the frogs are sensitive to filters. I'm willing to clean the tank if the filter is a bad idea. I've just seen so many opinions, some people use filters others don't.

-I've been feeding my frog the Grow-a-frog pellets twice a day every day. He usually eats each feeding, but now I'm reading that owners feed every few days. I'm planning on introducing some new (possibly live) food but I'm worried about going from feeding every day to every few days, especially since he's been eating at most feedings. What should I do?

-I've read that plastic plants can tear the frogs' webbing. I'm okay with no plastic since I like the look of live plants anyway. So far the only plant I'm looking at are anubias. Any other suggestions?

-Should I get a UVB light? I have a lamp I would just have to pick up a bulb, but I don't want to buy something I don't need.

-What water conditioners do y'all use?

I think that's all for now. I'm sure you've heard these questions a million times so thanks for putting up with me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Need advise for improving my ACF's living conditions

Quote Originally Posted by TheModernHermit View Post
    Hello! I'm a new member here. I use the screen name TheModernHermit. I chose this name because I own hermit crabs. I was taking care of them all wrong for a very long time due to improper care guides circulating. I try as hard as I can to learn and educate on proper pet care (hence the name, The modern care for pets)
    Anyway, turns out I've been taking care of my ACF wrong for years. I got him from the company Grow-a-frog. Maybe some people find their care recommendations perfectly okay, but after reading a little about the ACF I've decided that keeping them this way is wrong.
    So, I have a 10g tank that I'd like to move my little guy into. That's about all I know, after that I'm pretty lost. So here are my questions.

-Should I use the extra substrate that is left from the grow-a-frog kit? I know gravel isn't recommended. I have a ton of play sand and Eco Earth laying around from my hermit crab enclosure that I can use. I know ACFs are messy, so what will be the easiest to clean? I prefer not to do a bare bottom, for decorative purposes.

-Filters? I know the frogs are sensitive to filters. I'm willing to clean the tank if the filter is a bad idea. I've just seen so many opinions, some people use filters others don't.

-I've been feeding my frog the Grow-a-frog pellets twice a day every day. He usually eats each feeding, but now I'm reading that owners feed every few days. I'm planning on introducing some new (possibly live) food but I'm worried about going from feeding every day to every few days, especially since he's been eating at most feedings. What should I do?

-I've read that plastic plants can tear the frogs' webbing. I'm okay with no plastic since I like the look of live plants anyway. So far the only plant I'm looking at are anubias. Any other suggestions?

-Should I get a UVB light? I have a lamp I would just have to pick up a bulb, but I don't want to buy something I don't need.

-What water conditioners do y'all use?

I think that's all for now. I'm sure you've heard these questions a million times so thanks for putting up with me

Hello TMH am no expert but will chip in with what I have read an learned. Firstly that's a great sized tank for your frog it's been mentioned tanks should be shallow but they adapt to the depth so no worries There# I would recommend 2 they are very sociable critters either sex but oddly my fancy goldfish has taken a liking to the big frog and they are almost paired! It's not really advisable to add fish either your frog might eat them or the tank may become stagnant # on that note a filter will assist you and providing it's quiet whisper or external with no spray bars the frogs will not be stressed and tank will be easier managed# I personally would never feed every day there are sometimes exceptions gizmo let's me know he's hungry by his behaviour but every second day is enough and allows the tank to balance# plants NUBIUS are the best low maintenance very tough I replace mine every 8-10 mths partly as I cannot feed them due to frogs and osmosis# but you will have to take clean toothbrush over there leaves frequently ensure you remove them from holding baskets just use plastic tie wrap to hold down# water conditioners I use stress coat + I did use prime for a while but it smells bad for a while once administered & would defo think about lymnozyme or sometimes called koizyme it's a preventative against bad bacteria# feed everyone has a preference but do avoid beefheart or bloodwirms if he's happy eating pellets your on a winner as they are very balanced nutrition ways look for good quality pellets with added calcium(needed for bone structure) don't complicate the live food if your going down sand gravel route things might get messy! Just keep it simple offer him earthworms/nightcrawlers ensure they are pestacide free he should be hand fed and that includes pellets as you will bond with him# regarding sand that's perfectly fine but watch for waste and you must gravel siphon which will be tricky if it's sand to remove contaminants all that said if I missed something just ask again do keep posting including pics Am away to start posting videos on Facebook with my fancy goldfish n frog hilarious match! Good post keep coming back

4. This member thanks craig121 for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Need advise for improving my ACF's living conditions

[SIZE=4]The most important care missed out! Do a 30/40% water change weekly ##

6. This member thanks craig121 for this post:

Thread Information