Thread: New to Fire Bellies

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New to Fire Bellies

Good day all!

I am new to this forum and new to FBT’s. A little background if I may : My son and I recently converted an Exo Terra Medium Low (24x18x12) terrarium to a FBT Vivarium.

Our current set set up is as follows - pictures below:

1 - Vivarium is 2/3 water - spring water - 3” deep and filtered. We have the Zoo Med Small Repti Rapids waterfall in one corner and slate stacks and a cork flat at the base of the filter for a slight trickle of water into the tank.

2 - The land side is Zoo Med ReptiSoil (wasn’t going to deal with the Exo Earth mess!) - this area is not sloped and I installed a piece of acrylic to divide the land and water sides. I created a couple of hides under slate and mops I wood and have a small amount of green sphagnum moss on the land side as well. The fake moss stones are temporary as I struggled with the Frog Moss growing. These are just providing a good transition from land to water for the FBT’s.

3 - Temp / Humidity is monitored by a thermo / hygrometer and I’m suitable range. Water temp monitored by submersible thermometer ranges from 72 - 77 degrees.

4 - Lighting : Zoo Med T5HO UVB fixture (left from our Leopard Gecko Vivarium upgrade) and a 9watt Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED bulb. We have a couple of live plants on the land side. Both on 12 hour on / 12 hours off timed cycles for the photo period.

Ok - that’s a brief rundown of our set up, now here is where I need the “expert” input / kind advice from forum members:

1 - We’ve only had the 4 FBT’s for one day. They really don’t seem interested in coming out of the water to the land side to eat. Feeding crickets (dusted in Arcadia Earth Pro Calcium (no D3), butterworms and Phoenix Worms. Any thoughts on not coming out of the water (I understand they will spend a large amount of time in the water) or are they simply adjusting?

2 - Are there any opinions on whether or not I should re-work the land side?

I truly appreciate any and all feedback. We are super excited about these little FBT’s (a birthday present for our son!) and just want to make sure all looks good with their Vivarium.

Many thanks to you all!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New to Fire Bellies

Even though your water portion will be filtered, the water should be changed frequently. Fire Bellies have toxins that build up in the water and they can poison themselves. I lost mine that way :-(

Your set up is very pretty!! If they get hungry enough I'm sure they will wander over to the land. Update us when you can.

Thread Information