Thread: EMERGENCY - Pacman Frog closing eyes?

Nationality
    [United States]

Unhappy EMERGENCY - Pacman Frog closing eyes?

A few days ago, I found a mysterious blister on his upper lip (pic 1). I asked several breeders that I trusted, and they told me to keep calm for now, as long as he was acting normal.

All was well until I came home from work yesterday and one of his eyes were twitching (pic 2). I thought he had some substrate stuck in it & it was bothering him, so I flushed it out really well, and he opened it again (pic 3).

I got up in the middle of the night to check on him, and he had both of them closed (pic 4). He is showing very, very little movement now.

I am wondering whether to call the vet when they open this morning or let him pass in peace. Do you think this is the end, or is it worth stressing him out by placing him in a separate container for a vet trip?

My heart is broken, but I don't want him suffering... He just looks so pitiful.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: EMERGENCY - Pacman Frog closing eyes?

Vet trip, though him closing his eyes, especially if trying to bury himself, isn’t a big deal. If it’s too dry they try and go under, after they have had a big meal they do too, or if it’s too hot or cold. Since it’s albino, it should have very limited uv exposure or it may be feeling the effects of basically a sun burn. They aren’t very active at all, but you’re probably more in tune with his normal behavior than even the most experienced person, if you feel something is really off, then he needs treatment. I lost one of mine to an infection a few years ago that may have been saved had he gotten antibiotics sooner but since the vet couldn’t see what I did in how the frog behaved under normal conditions, he was treated for a possible impaction for a couple weeks, wasn’t eating and hadn’t pooped in quite a while, until everything had moved along and was still extremely lethargic, then they did blood work and found the infection. Point of this is that if you know something is wrong get him treated. They are tough creatures that will fight to survive to the very end, he won’t pass peacefully, he will suffer a drawn out battle with any ailment he has until his body finally gives out. Some people will say it’s just a frog, but it doesn’t have the choice it would in the wild, you took on those responsibilities when you got him.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: EMERGENCY - Pacman Frog closing eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Thevacantface View Post
    Vet trip, though him closing his eyes, especially if trying to bury himself, isn’t a big deal. If it’s too dry they try and go under, after they have had a big meal they do too, or if it’s too hot or cold. Since it’s albino, it should have very limited uv exposure or it may be feeling the effects of basically a sun burn. They aren’t very active at all, but you’re probably more in tune with his normal behavior than even the most experienced person, if you feel something is really off, then he needs treatment. I lost one of mine to an infection a few years ago that may have been saved had he gotten antibiotics sooner but since the vet couldn’t see what I did in how the frog behaved under normal conditions, he was treated for a possible impaction for a couple weeks, wasn’t eating and hadn’t pooped in quite a while, until everything had moved along and was still extremely lethargic, then they did blood work and found the infection. Point of this is that if you know something is wrong get him treated. They are tough creatures that will fight to survive to the very end, he won’t pass peacefully, he will suffer a drawn out battle with any ailment he has until his body finally gives out. Some people will say it’s just a frog, but it doesn’t have the choice it would in the wild, you took on those responsibilities when you got him.
    Sorry for the delayed update, but I just got back from the vet! He has red leg. The vet put him on some antibiotics, and he said he would give him a good fighting chance, considering that he was in such great health already, so kind thoughts for my little guy are appreciated!

I don't want anyone to think that I was trying to put off taking him to the vet. I didn't mean it like that, and I'm sorry if it came out that way! I simply meant that I thought he was already dead a few times, & wasn't sure if bothering him during his final breaths was right of me. I would use every last penny in my bank account for my frog. I love him so much, and I hope he gets better with this. Although there is a chance that the infection can't be cured, the vet & I are rooting for the little guy!

Thank you for your detailed response. I appreciate it so much, & I'm sorry to hear about your frog! You did all you could with the knowledge you had. Look at me, I feel stupid for not seeing his legs sooner. I feel terrible that I didn't think of that.

Thread Information