Thread: "Odd" tank sizes -can I use???

Nationality
    [United States]

Default "Odd" tank sizes -can I use???

These tanks were either gifted or old ones sitting around. I will give you sizes and dimensions and you guys can please let me know if they can be used for anything. Please also mention any specific species or specific limitations related to the size of these tanks as well. Thank you in advance... Here are the tanks:
    1- older "bread display" acrylic. 15.25" wide x 16" high x 14.25" deep (on big/low part) that "angles" to 10.25" deep on top side. There are three acrylic shelves that mount inside that can be taken out and it is back opening... And also that peace would need replaced as it is broken. I've been toying around with ideas with us for some time so if it is not able to be used then I will not be surprised but if it is then that would be great! Let me know.

2- 5 gallon tanks are 8.75" wide x 16.5" deep x 10.25" high. Standard 5 gallons, 1 with lid and 1 without (if it matters lol). Will this work with anything?

3- old saltwater holding tank, turned "bare" is 7" wide x 19.5" deep x 11" high (thin 10 gallon basically). NO lid at all....but if I could fashion something, would it work for anything?

Again, thanks in advance for your time and efforts...AND if you feel that these are gonna be just plain UGLY visually, please let me know and I'll just pass on then for that reason and not even use them. Can't wait to hear back! Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: "Odd" tank sizes -can I use???

I love oddly sized tanks. They’re like a blank canvas. The acrylic may be the only one that’s impractical as acrylic yellows with exposure to light, warps easily, scratches easily and is difficult to clean. As far as the fives they can make great quarantine tanks or homes for invertebrates like mantids, beetles, spiders etc.

4. This member thanks DanDrobates for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DanDrobates View Post
    I love oddly sized tanks. They’re like a blank canvas. The acrylic may be the only one that’s impractical as acrylic yellows with exposure to light, warps easily, scratches easily and is difficult to clean. As far as the fives they can make great quarantine tanks or homes for invertebrates like mantids, beetles, spiders etc.
    Awesome...and same with the skinny x-saltwater? Quarantine or very small animals?
    What about froglets in smaller #s?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I wouldn’t keep anything in there long term (Maybe it would function as a grow out for tiny tadpoles). I also use my odd vivariums for raising plants so you could always set up a terrarium just for aesthetics. Score some carnivorous plants and some driftwood and you could have a nice little project there.

7. This member thanks DanDrobates for this post:

Thread Information