Thread: Feeding my leopard gecko

Default Feeding my leopard gecko

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Feeding my leopard gecko

Beautiful geckos! They have quite the appetite! I love how much space you gave the first one and the succulent choice is pretty, but your set up,while good looking, needs a little work and isn't suitable for this species.
    The substrate is a huge impaction risk in the first tank, even just a couple chunks accidentally ingested with it's food could seriously harm your gecko, and they NEED somewhere to hide, somewhere dark and enclosed, though forgive me if the hides had just been taken out during filming. The minimum is at least three hides, one on the warm side, one on the cold side, and a third moist box in the middle or warm side of the tank.
    The same goes for your daughter's, though that fake plant (which was a really nice choice!) does provide a little more cover it's still not a replacement for actual hides, which could be done with rocks and driftwood if you don't like the look of most caves on the market or didn't want to make your own.
    I'm also a little curious about heating and lighting? Leopard geckos get their heat through their belly and can't properly digest their food or absorb calcium/vitamins without belly heat, over time this leads to weight-loss, weakening, bone deformation as they are leached for calcium and a host of other irreversible issues, and I can't see how it would get enough through that substrate, is the heat pad on the side of the tank it's only heat source? Also is there a bulb over the first leos tank? If so a cave is even more important.

Leopard geckos don't show stress very well and health related changes often aren't visible until too far along but the stress will shorten their life span considerably, and while they're healthy and active looking geckos without some changes their health will degrade.

Also you may want to use one of those waterdishes as a mealworm dish instead, I have the same bowl that's on the right and after a little while in water the paint started to bubble and peel off, I checked the reviews and it's a common problem. Using it as a mealworm bowl will also reduce the risk of impaction.

I'm not trying to criticize you at all, just a fellow leopard gecko lover who had a lot of trial and error with their early tanks and want to see the best for the little guys.

Thread Information