Thread: Researching for my first frog. WTF vivarium questions!

Default Researching for my first frog. WTF vivarium questions!

I currently own two panther Chameleons and am researching for a whites tree frog. Hopefully someone can help me out with questions I'm having trouble with:

1. WTF caresheets seem to all say something different about substrate. I'm thinking of trying bioactive. What's a good top layer that would be safe to use. I've read that impactions can be an issue. So very fine eco earth? Maybe large leaf litter?
    2. I'd like to use a uvb. I've read both ways and that they don't NEED it... But I would like to provide low levels, 2% bulb? Would 5% be too much?
    3. I have an awesome Willow tree bark piece from really old dried tree. I'd like to use it after sanitation. Is the texture of rough bark okay on frog skin? I imagine in the wild they deal with it but wanted to check.
    4. Do WTF ever bite on their plants? Would say... a pothos ivy which has oxalates be safe?
    5. Having a hard time finding recommended dusting schedule. Are all frogs generally same? How often should D3 be given if I end up using a uvb?

Thanks for any input!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Researching for my first frog. WTF vivarium questions!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFroggie View Post
    I currently own two panther Chameleons and am researching for a whites tree frog. Hopefully someone can help me out with questions I'm having trouble with:

1. WTF caresheets seem to all say something different about substrate. I'm thinking of trying bioactive. What's a good top layer that would be safe to use. I've read that impactions can be an issue. So very fine eco earth? Maybe large leaf litter?
    2. I'd like to use a uvb. I've read both ways and that they don't NEED it... But I would like to provide low levels, 2% bulb? Would 5% be too much?
    3. I have an awesome Willow tree bark piece from really old dried tree. I'd like to use it after sanitation. Is the texture of rough bark okay on frog skin? I imagine in the wild they deal with it but wanted to check.
    4. Do WTF ever bite on their plants? Would say... a pothos ivy which has oxalates be safe?
    5. Having a hard time finding recommended dusting schedule. Are all frogs generally same? How often should D3 be given if I end up using a uvb?

Thanks for any input!
    Plantation Soil works great with them and it's great for the plants. Get the Exo Terra UVB 13 Watt it will be good and they will bask in it. You can try the bark they should climb on it they are nosy lol but make sure it's 100% clean. They don't eat plants at all. If you feed 3 times a week gut load crickets then one feed use vitamin next feed nothing then 3rd feed use calcium and also mix up their food. Roaches, Crickets are a good main food but waxworms and butter worms and even Repti Worms.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Whew! Sorry took so long to reply! Life got me hard these last few weeks. Thanks for the info!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

WTFs do occasionally bite plant leaves but in my experience they either can't pull them off the plant or (if the leaf is already off) they spit them right back out. My frogs have never swallowed a pothos leaf.

I think a 5% UVB would be okay as long as there was shade.

Thread Information