Thread: Lighting for a frog that basks?

Default Lighting for a frog that basks?

I have green and gold bell frogs which, according to wikipedia, bask in the sun in the wild, favour unshaded water and are often active during the day. What I've got right now is a lamp intended for nocturnal reptiles (can't remember the exact specifications.) I'm building them a new, larger viv, and was thinking about changing the lamp too. If they bask in the wild, should they possibly have a decently high-powered lamp, more like something for a diurnal reptile? And if so, does anyone know what sort of range/type I should be looking at? They're still frogs of course, so I don't want to risk them drying out or the light being too powerful. I've looked around at the lighting specifications for other litoria frogs, but from what I can see none of them have the same basking behaviour or daytime activity and so are usually not listed as requiring lamps at all.

I have the nocturnal lamp in the first place because I'd read that green and gold bell tadpoles can be prone to scoliosis without UVB (long story but I took on some tadpoles that were dwindling away in a closing-down petshop, and had various health problems), and the tank I was keeping them in was in a room without much natural sunlight.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information