Thread: New To Frog Keeping...

Red face New To Frog Keeping...

...And it's been pretty good! I've wanted a frog for a few years now, and no one in my life seemed to understand why I thought they were so cute. I don't really get how anyone can think they're ugly: Their chubby little bodies and grumpy faces seem incredibly adorable, no matter how you slice it

I picked up a Kaloula Pulchra at a local reptile expo. Knowing what I know now, I should have probably gone for a pacman frog (Diurnal, more popular/more advice on keeping, more active...) but hindsight is 20/20. The grumpy little face was what really got me.

I like how the frog himself was very very cheap, but the equipment to keep the frog was about 200 dollars. I had gerbils and hermit crabs as a kid, and never took care of them right, so I was serious about doing things right this time with a proper sized cage, proper humidity, and proper temperature!

That being said... if there's something obvious that's wrong with my cage, please let me know I'd much rather get yelled at now than come home to a dead frog because he drowned in the water dish or I picked a crappy thermometer or something. The water dish was too deep, and I heard these frogs are bad swimmers, so I used large pebbles to make it a bit more shallow and look a little more natural. My room gets natural light, so I've been letting the sun do its thing. However, this presents a bit of a problem at night when I want to read or watch tv but don't want to disturb the frog. Would covering the cage with a towel or something to make it dark at night be a bad idea? I'm also getting a clear glass pane to put on top of the screen lid so I can keep the humidity in, while also letting sunlight filter through. http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Frog...Bullfrog-Care/ this page recommended setting up the heat mat on the side of the tank, so not to bother the frog when it digs, so I did that. I only use the red light when I need to see into the cage at night, because I heard that overuse can dry out the substrate and mess with the humidity. I'm getting crickets later today, because my frog won't accept meal worms and seems scared of my tongs. Would it be a bad idea to just leave the crickets in the tank until he eats them?

I'm just glad other people understand why I think frogs are so darn cute.

Name:  TRrnoyn.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  47.6 KB

(Bad picture of the tank setup... I'll try to get a better one when I get home)

Default Re: New To Frog Keeping...

Name:  oydtZY4.png
Views: 50
Size:  430.8 KB

Here he is!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New To Frog Keeping...

Aw he does look grumpy. You might want to put the mealworms into a bowl and leave them. A towel might not be a bad idea as long as it only temporarily covers the screen and it's not under any heat lamps.

By the way, the cost of the frog is never the most expensive thing, as you know!

Thread Information