Thread: Deformation cause?

Member needs to set country!

Default Deformation cause?

Hey everyone! I have a pacman frog named Truffle and she's about 10 months old. Within the past month or two I've noticed her face seemed crooked; the stripe in her patterning that's meant to directly go down the center of her face goes off to one side. I thought it may just be the pattern itself, but watching her eat confirmed the top of her mouth is slightly shifted to the one side. Strangely enough, her bottom jaw is completely centered.

My main concern is that she didn't show signs of deformation for most of her life until this point, which makes me believe this is something I may have caused. She is fed primarily earthworms and occasionally crickets. I dust with calcium with D3 a few times a week and try to dust with a multivitamin once a week, though if she's brewing a poop or on the verge of shedding, she sometimes doesn't want to eat or eats less. I also tong feed her with bamboo tongs, which she has wrestled with on more than one occasion.

Any ideas for the cause of her mouth shift? I did pull back on the calcium with D3 because she was reaching her adult size and I thought they needed less in adulthood, maybe that was the cause? Or is it possible for genetic abnormalities to appear later on in life? I know there's nothing I can do about it now, but it would be nice to get some insight so, if I do get another horned frog in the future, I won't mess up again.

Here's pictures of Truffle at 3 months, 6 months, and earlier this month (9-10 months). The first two images show her nose looking straight, but you can see in her latest pic that the front stripe goes to the left.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Deformation cause?

Here's a picture I took of her today:

Although it's hard to tell, she doesn't have an over or underbite that I can see...the top of her mouth just goes to one side. Is it possible that this could occur from oversupplementing? I admittedly may have been overcautious in trying to give her calcium, and it would explain this development. Despite her doing well other than this disfigurement, I feel bad that I could have caused it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I’ve seen frogs develop different facial profiles with age but I’ve never seen one this extreme. It could be due to any one of a hundred different causes. I doubt it’s your fault though. Other than the malformation of the mandibles it looks pretty healthy. As long as it’s growing and feeding I’d just monitor it and see if it progresses.

Thanks for your insight, I'll keep doing what I'm doing and keep an eye on it. I might eventually take her in to be examined by a vet to make sure she is otherwise doing well, even if it's just for peace of mind, haha.

I fed her just a moment ago and after watching her eat with more scrutinizing, it seems the bottom jaw veers slightly to the right, the opposite of the top; the bony protrusion on the bottom jaw that's supposed to be centered is nearly under her right nostril. So it seems the front of her nose is actually doing a strange twist. Maybe I can get footage of her eating next time.

It's quite baffling, I've never seen or heard of this happening. The closest thing I know of is MBD related when the top or lower jaw recedes.

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree. I’m intrigued by this. I’m inclined to say it looks like an old injury that healed but given the history you provided I doubt it. I’m assuming you would have noticed one. If you tong feed I’d stop and let it feed naturally. No sense stressing those mandibles. If possible check for any masses or necrosis. It’s uncommon but frogs can develop tumors. Keep us posted and good luck. A trip to the vet would be in order.

Hello! For anyone curious to see Truffle in motion, I took a video that I split into two parts on my Instagram here. Sorry if the lighting makes to difficult to watch or see, my phone made it seem easier on the eyes when I uploaded from there. The shot is a little off center from Truffle, but I think you can see her "crossbite" pretty okay, including the lower jaw. I bought one of those silicone covers meant for canned dog food to put the worms on and I'm happy to see her snatch them up so well this way. I think it's a good idea to retire the tongs from direct feeding, all things considered.

Also happy to say I have a vet appointment for Truffle on Thursday! I'm nervous about transport since I feel she will stress more over it than my WTFs, but I'll do my best to make her feel safe.

As for potential causes, the onset of this was very gradual to me and happened within the last month or two, to my knowledge. It's entirely possible she did hurt herself on the tongs enough to cause a minor fracture in the top and bottom of her mouth while still growing, and that's why it progressed into a small crossbite as she grew into her adult size. Of course, this is only me guessing. Hopefully between my vet and I, we can figure it out and take care of my little crooked-faced princess.

Got back from the vet with Truffle! He gave her a good bill of health, said there wasn't any abnormalities to worry about inside her mouth and her bone density felt good. I inquired about if tong feeding could have injured her at some point and caused it, but he's doubtful of that as there likely would have been other signs if she got hurt. As for her crossbite, it's going to be a sit and wait situation. He said if it gets worse, sedating her and x-rays could be in order, but since she is doing so well despite her misaligned jaws, he would rather wait than stress her unnecessarily.

So...still a mystery! But I'm glad she's okay other than her unique features.

10. 2 members thank Bynny Ribbit for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Good to know. Best of luck with her.

Thread Information