Thread: Should I put down Daisy?

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Should I put down Daisy?

I have an American bullfrog that has MBD and is about 2-3 years old. She's only 2.5 inches long. My cat will often stare at her, but Tuesday night she managed to grab her and break her arm. I know her MBD and broken arm were completely preventable and my fault, and I feel awful. She hasn't eaten for a few weeks although she doesn't seem to be loosing weight. I really wish I could take her to the vet, but the one around here is unusually expensive. My aunt's a vet tech near Chicago and said so herself. Theres not much they could do for a broken arm anyways I guess. Daisy is unable to get up if she falls on her back. She's also very skittish and panics anytime you look at her for too long, which might be normal skittish bullfrog behavior. The broken arm doesn't seem to be causing her much pain, just mobility issues. She's also badly bruised from the attack that broke her arm. Do you think I should put her down?
    "If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."
    - James Herriot
    The first step towards fixing your flaws is recognizing that they exist.
    FFA & Livestock Judging
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Redstripe)
    1.1.0 D. versicolor
    0.0.1 Red Eared Slider
    1.0.0 A. fowleri (R.I.P 1/13/21, I miss you Herbie)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Should I put down Daisy?

Can you post a picture of her? That would really help. Poor Daisy!

Nationality
    [United States]

I'll post pictures as soon as I get the chance. I'm not sure I have the heart to put her down since the arm isn't affecting her that severely. I just wanna be sure she's truly suffering, which is difficult.
    "If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."
    - James Herriot
    FFA & Livestock Judging
    1.1.0 D. versicolor
    0.0.1 Red Eared Slider

Nationality
    [United States]

Euthanasia is a difficult subject. Ultimately it’s a decision best made by a vet and the animals care taker. Metabolic bone disease is a reasonable cause for euthanasia in its advanced state. It’s an unfortunate condition that is preventable but don’t blame yourself. Learn from the experience. I will caution you that amphibian euthanasia is an uncertain procedure. The techniques used on mammals are not effective on amphibians. Research has shown that it can be a potentially painful process if performed incorrectly. If you cannot find a vet familiar in amphibian euthanasia I would advise you to let the animal be. Find it a quiet place and a clean enclosure. Drape a dark cloth over part of it and just observe without stressing it. If it decides to feed after a few days, supplement with a good multi vitamin and calcium supplement. You could also try a soak in plain pedialyte for about 15 minutes to restore electrolytes and hydrate the animal. Good luck

6. This member thanks DanDrobates for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I have some images of her and a link to a video showing how she moves and swims. She is able to still get around for the most part though.
    Name:  Daisy Img. 1.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  1.18 MB

Name:  Daisy Arm.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  1.32 MB

Link to video. Sorry if you can't understand me; I have a mumbling problem and the microphone makes my voice sound really weird:
    https://youtu.be/x4tnpLWwcwo
    - James Herriot
    FFA & Livestock Judging
    1.1.0 D. versicolor
    0.0.1 Red Eared Slider

Nationality
    [United States]

I got her when I was 11. I didn't know about the nutritional requirements of frogs and the nutrion of different feeders. She got mostly super worms because other feeders did't wriggle around as much as them and I had a hard time getting crickets in my feeding tongs. She also didn't get sunlight because I covered the sides of her tank so she'd be calmer. this is part of the reason why I think parents need to be careful about letting children get pets. Luckily I know what I'm doing now, and she wouldn't have lived if I left her where I found her anyways.
    - James Herriot
    FFA & Livestock Judging
    1.1.0 D. versicolor
    0.0.1 Red Eared Slider

Nationality
    [United States]

Aww poor little bitty frog I don't know, she could be ok, you're obviously a much advanced and really good frog keeper now, you may be able to nurse her back to health. Praying for you and Daisy

Nationality
    [United States]

She’s doing much better. She is finally eating and coming out of her hide. There’s a lot less swelling in her arm now too. She’s a fighter...
    - James Herriot
    FFA & Livestock Judging
    1.1.0 D. versicolor
    0.0.1 Red Eared Slider

Nationality
    [United States]

That’s great! I’m glad she’s doing better. Her arm might heal crooked but my frogs arm did the same and she does fine!

Member needs to set country!

How is Daisy doing? MBD can be bad, but it's also reversible even if the deformities remain. It's great she's eating again, I would just keep supplementing her and keeping an eye on things.

Considering euthanasia can be a very difficult process, but I'm not sure it applies here. I think a frog that wants to eat is a frog that wants to live, so I will always fight for a frog that has an appetite. I applied this to my frog Moochy when she was having all her issues, and she's not out of the woods yet but she has the hunger of a frog twice her size, lol.

Thread Information