Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "No" Frog

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default "No" Frog

Hey, I've been away from here doing intense real life stuff but now my little frog hasn't eaten for a little over a week and I'm getting concerned. Today he actually did this, and swiped a roach off a ledge.

It's probably temperature related since it's been in the high 70's/ low 80's all week and my air conditioner is currently broken. The fan is just not doing enough.

do you have any tips for getting a frog to eat? Aside from delicacies like wax worms, because the problem is that he's not even trying to strike at anything.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "No" Frog

I feel like I should add that I know lively bugs like crickets can draw frog attention, but that didn't work. Also shoving a bug in a frog's face doesn't work.

I finally got Julep to eat a small roach after holding it there for twenty minutes. He hopped onto the hand holding the bug once.

Member needs to set country!

Do you know he last time he pooped and if it seemed normal? Just to rule out any gastrointestinal distress. The temperature doesn't seem like it should be an issue since I've seen information stating they can handle up to 90ºF according to a vet source.

Have you tried removing him from his tank and feeding him in a separate container?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure he was the one responsible for a larger-than-normal poop in the waterbowl recently.

I know they can tolerate those temperatures, but I thought maybe the drop in temp at night might cue them to hunt or something. I know warm nights have made the little frog unusually active with less of an appetite. Maybe he thinks it's spring and wants a mate.

I tried putting him over a tank with crickets but he was having none of it. If things don't change I'll try moving him to the quarantine tank and leaving bugs there.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Vet visit: anyhow the vet says Julep has one of the worst cases of nematodes he's seen. He sent me back with a low dose of Panacur, so I get to experience giving a frog medicine by mouth. Anyone have tips on this???

I also may need to strip the tank and replace the substrate.

I'm wondering how he got them at all. The larger frog had a lot of protozoa, but not nematodes. Did one of the frogs come with nematodes? Did the pet store crickets have nematodes? What about my roach colony? Did the magnolia leaves I boiled and roasted for the tank still have eggs?

I'm not feeling great right now. I would hate to strip the whole tank only to have the feeders continue to contribute worms. I'm not happy that the medicine will probably stress the little frog out more and make him less likely to eat. At least I got him checked out before he lost a significant amount of weight.

Also, even though the big frog seems healthy I'll need to get him checked out too.

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

Using a gift card or something similar like you would do when force feeding would probably be the best way to give your frog its medicine.
    "If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."
    - James Herriot
    The first step towards fixing your flaws is recognizing that they exist.
    FFA & Livestock Judging
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Redstripe)
    1.1.0 D. versicolor
    0.0.1 Red Eared Slider
    1.0.0 A. fowleri (R.I.P 1/13/21, I miss you Herbie)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I did use a credit card and it worked splendidly!
    I am worried I gave him too little because the dosage was so small to begin with and the syringe was impossible to empty completely.

Julep will be hanging out in quarantine until I can redo the main tank.

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    I am worried I gave him too little because the dosage was so small to begin with and the syringe was impossible to empty completely.
    Do you mean some of the Panacur stays in the syringe tip after pushing the rest of it out? I have a similar issue with administering my frog's medication, but when I called the vet to make sure it was okay, I was assured it wasn't a problem. You can always check in with yours just to be sure.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's the problem. It seems like a whole lot because I'm giving a tiny half of .01 dosage.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You probably got nematodes from leaves or some plant possibly or if your soil is from outside it could be that too. Those frogs are hardy so I wouldn't consider that an issue if it's not for a long period of time. Although the frog would probably adapt and adjust to the warm temps. As for the medicine I would never use a credit card just because I'd be worried of breaking the jaw of the frog. What I did was inject crickets when my Leopard Frog was sick and he ate the cricket and got all of the medicine. You can do this for whatever the frog eats most. Like my toads favorite food is a worm or waxworm. I'd inject it to one of them even a waxworm. Even though it's a fat food if the frog will take it then that's the most important thing. I think there are beneficial bugs you can release to eat the nematodes but don't quote me. You would have to strip down the tank and give new dirt to assure they are all gone. Hope this helps.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

12. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    That's the problem. It seems like a whole lot because I'm giving a tiny half of .01 dosage.
    Yikes, and I thought Moochy's dosage was small. Yeah, it might be good to confirm if it's a problem. I wonder if there's a way to dilute the Panacur and make the dosage a little higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    As for the medicine I would never use a credit card just because I'd be worried of breaking the jaw of the frog.
    I've also heard of people using those little rubber spatulas to open their mouths. Might be gentler since it's soft.

14. This member thanks Bynny Ribbit for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'll keep the injecting bugs in mind. The problem is that the frog's not striking at anything at all, and he's never had a waxworm, so he doesn't know they're tasty. I don't think he'd strike at those either.

The nematodes could have come from the plants even though I cleaned them off first and rinsed with bleach/water. Or maybe it was the leaf litter which was boiled and baked. I tried, but it must not have been enough. Thanks for the reassurance though.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

He's lively and moving around, but he hasn't eaten anything although I left a bowl of crickets in his tank. I'm worried.

Nationality
    [United States]

When did he eat last? Is he doing any better?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Julep ate last when I force-fed him a dubia on Sunday. I've only done that once, but I might try it again. He's still lively, still wants out of quarantine. To make things worse, the other frog, Bonk isn't going after bugs either. I left another bowl of crickets in the tank and he just now seems to be even aware of them. Luckily Bonk is pretty fat.

Would anyone recommend unflavored pedialyte as a bath for Julep? I might try a honey bath to stimulate his hunger, but he seems to have plenty of energy.

I considered just putting Julep back in the tank to make him feel more comfortable, but he's just been treated for worms. I don't want to re-infect him.

They've both been calling more than usual, I wonder if that means anything.

Nationality
    [United States]

Aw poor little guy.. Did you get Bonk tested for nematodes? Did you get them tested for anything else? Could be something else.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Supposedly the vet did a general analysis of Julep's poop, just stuck it under the microscope. I haven't been able to bring any of Bonk's in yet.

After I force-fed Julep, he pooped in a couple of days and it was oddly greenish. That's a little worrying.

Poor Julep and Bonk. Sorry I can't be of more help, not sure if a soak would help, but it may not hurt to try unless you think it'll stress him too much.

Have you considered some Repta+Boost or something similar?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I will in a couple days if he isn't better. He isn't low energy, however, just not eating.

I wonder if putting him back in his other tank would make him feel more comfortable, but he wasn't eating there either and I don't want to reinfect him.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Julep got his first dose of ReptaBoost. I gave him a half dose just in case he could qualify as "severe." Still no interest in bugs, still trying to get out of quarantine.

At least Bonk took a bug. He hid in his hide all night, but he did peek out long enough to snatch a roach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information