Thread: HELP - frog cuts and eye injury

Default HELP - frog cuts and eye injury

Hey everyone,

I had posted a question on my previous thread related to another issue that was resolved but I wasn't getting much traffic with it so I'm reposting my new question. I currently have 4 red eyes, they are all very active. I woke up 2 days ago and one had a cut on his head and his eye looked like it might have gotten injured as well. I'm treating the cut with polysporin (without pain relief) but I don't know what to do about the eye. I've read some posts that suggest a product called teremycin but we don't have that in Canada. We have some other products that are similar. I've called 5-6 different vets and no one knows or they suggest I go in which is a $200 bill just to have her looked at. The only herp vet in Ottawa isn't available until Wednesday. Any help is greatly appreciated. I removed all potential injurious items from the tank as well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member needs to set country!

Default Re: HELP - frog cuts and eye injury

$200 CAD just to be seen?! And I thought $65 USD was a lot...

Do you happen to have an image of the eye in question? It may help.

While looking up ways to treat frogs, I happened upon this old thread on Caudata.org mentioning using contact solution to treat skin injuries since, at its core, contact solution is effectively just a saline solution. I imagine a saline solution could be dripped into the eye, though I admittedly do not know what a safe percentage would be for a frog. Digging on my end proved a bit fruitless, but I wanted to pass this info onto you in case you want to try it. I have personally given one of my whites tree frogs dips into very strong saline solutions, including running it over her head and eyes, and it has not harmed her (though at the strength I was using, they were brief and required multiple rinses). I know RETFs are more delicate, so YMMV, but like I said, just wanted to pass this on to you as an option if it's something you want to try.

Thanks, I have some contact soultion somewhere in the house. When she opens her eyes they're fine, it's just the lids that appear to be affected. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow when she's sleeping. She's still super active at night which is good and the cut on her head is healing nicely. I'll try the contact solution and see if that helps. Thanks again!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Aw poor little thing, how is she today?

She is doing very well, super active at night. They're all become more active, one stays up about an hour after I turn the light on in the morning now. My male is become more vocal as well. I'm happy she's doing better!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That's great! I'm so glad to hear she's doing good and I'm glad there are good people like you who care about them!

Thread Information