Thread: FBT change in behavior

Nationality
    [Afghanistan]

Default FBT change in behavior

We have a 10 gallon bioactive setup that's been up and running since September. It has a tube uvb bulb that is on a 12 hour cycle. Clean up crew consists of dwarf white isopods and spring tails. Substrate is covered with zoo med frog moss. When I've checked the bugs are reproducing and thriving. There is no additional heat. There's a large water dish in the center of the tank for two fire belly toads. Water is treated with Prime and left to sit 24 hours and is changed daily or every two days. The tank gets misted daily with distilled water. We got the frogs from Big Al's in October as babies. We have fed them mostly flightless fruit flies every day/every two days powdered with repashy calcium plus on every meal. They've been growing rapidly and seem to be healthy. I have a couple of questions. One frog (Flame) seems to be very dominant - eats first and bullies the other if it gets too close and is considerably fatter. The other frog (Jack) has always been a lighter eater and prone to climbing everything - walls, plants, bark. I've noticed that Jack doesn't seem to have a very strong eating reponse and has been spending an inordinate amount of time climbing walls. He also seems to have lost a bit of weight. I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: FBT change in behavior

try feeding them a big cricket.

one cricket later, frog is fed and full.

4. This member thanks alane for this post:

Nationality
    [Afghanistan]

I did try crickets earlier today. Jack lunged, missed and gave up and started climbing a plant. Flame ate until I took the crickets out. What size crickets do you normally feed? These were smaller 4 week crickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

well gee. maybe a bunch of small fruit flies is better if you have a timid frog. at least froggy will get a few.

my subadults are mostly all capable of eating adult sized crickets. so i get the 'large' at the pet store. it contains a few smaller ones for the smaller sub-adults.

if froggy is accurate and a cricket goes down head first, it's amazing how large a cricket they can swallow. and then a few days later, little froggy is fat-fat-fat like buddha.

sorry that you have a feeding issue. maybe put the shy one into a small feeding box with his own supply of flies?

i can't really help with your problem other than i've seen that some of my fellows are fatter and more aggressive than others. maybe you have one alpha and one beta frog.

Nationality
    [Afghanistan]

Here’s some pictures. I could just be worried about nothing.

Flame is the big guy on the right and Jack is the bright green one on the left.

Current setup. I’ve thought about changing it to have more water but they tend to use all of the ground space and only occasionally hang out in the water.

Nationality
    [Afghanistan]

Oh and I believe Flame is male and Jack could possibly be female. Flame is the only one I’ve seen doing an amplexus.

Thread Information