Thread: Currently trying to learn all I can about FBT!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Currently trying to learn all I can about FBT!

Hi everyone, I’m new here!

Ive always loved frogs, when I was a kid (and even still) my favorite thing to do was to go out and look for frogs and toads! For the longest time my favorite animal of all time was the red eyed tree frog.

As as I got older I realized I hated crickets and decided to get into geckos. I currently have 2 cresteds, 1 chahoua and 1 leachie. My cresteds and leachie are behind lazy so they enjoy eating their PANGEA complete diet. My chewie enjoys his PANGEA and Dubia roaches. When I got my chewie and realized that I’m not terrified of roaches I figured I’d start to research frogs!

Ideally j wanted something thag was hardy and has no high temp requirements... and I wanted a new pet that wasn’t nocturnal for once! So here I am.

I plan on upgrading my leachie to a 40 gallon tank and as a result I’ll have a 29 gallon tank free. I’m hoping this will be a suitable sized tank for a few FBT? I plan on modifying the screen lid so I can try out a mister for humidity as well.

I want to try live plants, but I’m hesitant about planting them in the tank, could I instead put them in small terra-cotta pots and kinda hide them by placing cork park on them? Does that make sense?
    I would like to use a large water dish/shallow bowl for water, I’ve never set up a filter/aquatic environment for anything other than tropical fish.. is it easier to have a small filter? Would I need to test the water like I would with an aquarium? Will I have to worry about the nitrogen cycle?

I hope to find in’s a way to build a natural looking ledge so they can explore the most tank space and not just be limited to the ground. I wouldn’t do anything super high, but a small rock ramp and ledge with some moss could look nice?

What are some big dos or donts?

Am am I off on the right track planning wise? Could anyone share their set ups and maintenance schedules? Also how often to feed? Can I put roaches in a bowl in the tank so they don’t run and hide in the tank?

sorry for the million questions and horrible format. I’m doing this on my phone at work!

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Currently trying to learn all I can about FBT!

It seems like you are off to a good start! I have 3 firebellies in a 29 gallon tank, 2 of them I've had for about 5 years and just added a third a few months ago after losing one about 2 years ago. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to put the plants in pots and put those in the tank, but I don't have live plants in my tank so I'm not positive. I would definitely suggest you put the largest water dish you possibly can because these guys love the water! I used to have a large water bowl that I got from Petco, see picture one with my lovely cat Ashes sitting on top of the tank stalking the frogs like she loves to do....but switched it out for a large pyrex dish with a water filter. One of my frogs about 3-4 years ago got a weird infection on it's head and I brought it to the vet, $350 later I went home with a prescription for antibiotics and immediately ordered a small water filter. The vet said the infection was most likely caused from dirty water and suggested that I get a filter because without the filter the water needs to be changed DAILY, which is a pain in the butt. With the water filter I just add dechlorinated water to it pretty much every day, take the whole pyrex dish out every other week and clean it and the filter with vinegar. So, back to the story of the sick frog, the antibiotics worked and he lived for about another year but eventually ended up dying of unknown causes, but I suspect the infection just took it's toll on him and he became weak or something. The second two pics are the best ones I can find where you can see what I did with the pyrex dish! I usually go to the pet store on Friday and pick up 30 medium crickets and put half in that day and the other half later in the week. Make sure you're dusting with a calcium/vitamin supplement every other feeding. I wouldn't suggest putting the roaches in a dish because mine don't seem to notice food in the dish, that might just be mine though. I really tried to feed worms by putting them in a dish so they didn't burrow, frogs did not notice them in there. So I bought tongs to try and hand feed which worked a few times but they really love the crickets. If you put the roaches in the tank the frogs will hunt them down, and depending on how many you put in they probably will eat them so quickly the roaches won't even have a chance to hide! Hope this helped
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  IMG_5509.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  33.5 KBName:  IMG_9223.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  256.7 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you so much for that awesome reply!

Turns out FBTs are nearly impossible to find in my area right now... I ended up researching and decided to get a whites tree frog!

I have the tank tank almost ready and I found a breeder in my state. (By some miracle). I’ll post over in the tree frog section when I have everything all ready.

One day I hope to be able to get FBTs!

Thread Information