Thread: Does my frog have redleg?

Default Does my frog have redleg?

There is a very slight redness throughout the body and under the throat. This redness was never there before. I also see a slightly red spot in the middle of the throat that is worse than the rest of the body.

I have attached photos, does it look like redleg?

Keep in mind he never used to have this redness, and the pictures are actually a bit better than in person, I think its more clear in person how much redness there is.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Does my frog have redleg?

ill be real it does look like a redness but it honestly seems more pink and not like the photos ive seen of "red leg" but is showing other signs of red leg?

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
    ill be real it does look like a redness but it honestly seems more pink and not like the photos ive seen of "red leg" but is showing other signs of red leg?
    His behavior is the same as before, just the extra redness that I dont know whats causing it.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey, how cold is the glass underneath the substrate? I find when my guys burrow right down to the glass and sit there for a few days if the glass is really cold it makes them under side look red/pinkish. Have you noticed if he stays up for a bit it goes away?

Member needs to set country!

If he is acting normally, I'm more inclined to believe the pinkness is irritation of some kind. Redleg is actually a symptom of different kinds of infection in a frog, so the likelihood of him presenting redleg and no other symptoms is very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Hey, how cold is the glass underneath the substrate? I find when my guys burrow right down to the glass and sit there for a few days if the glass is really cold it makes them under side look red/pinkish. Have you noticed if he stays up for a bit it goes away?
    I am not sure how cold the glass is, I have heat pad underneath but I am not using it. Perhaps I should hook it back up again. I assume the glass is colder than room temp. I do heat up the whole room for them so not sure how cold the glass is. I am going to hook up a probe and find out.

He has been underground for about a month and half. so maybe thats why its irritating his skin? He hasnt come out and sat on top so I cant see if the redness goes away.

I do have an orante who is doing the same thing (underground for a month) but when I check him he has no redness at all.

Nationality
    [Poland]
    Blog Entries

It is not red leg, but pre-red leg stadium. Bath it in water, change substrate, make tank clean. Red-leg is caused by overgrowth of microflora of frogs skin, caused by not clean enough tanks or overpopulation of frogs, like in case of my Trachycephalus nigromaculatus frogs. It is harmless at this stage, just showing you need to do a better cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bynny Ribbit View Post
    If he is acting normally, I'm more inclined to believe the pinkness is irritation of some kind. Redleg is actually a symptom of different kinds of infection in a frog, so the likelihood of him presenting redleg and no other symptoms is very unlikely.
    Ok thats good to know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim FrogBreeder View Post
    It is not red leg, but pre-red leg stadium. Bath it in water, change substrate, make tank clean. Red-leg is caused by overgrowth of microflora of frogs skin, caused by not clean enough tanks or overpopulation of frogs, like in case of my Trachycephalus nigromaculatus frogs. It is harmless at this stage, just showing you need to do a better cleaning.
    I first noticed the redness maybe 2 months ago. At that time, I changed the substrate and disinfected the tank as best I could. Now a month and half later the redness is the same or maybe worse. The frog has been underground that whole time so he is not defecating or urinating so the substrate is not getting dirty. I am not sure how much cleaner I can get it. I gave him a soak yesterday when I took those pictures.

Nationality
    [Poland]
    Blog Entries

Hmm that's strange, it shouldn't be there this way. You are sure it is not the frogs natural colour of legs?

Quote Originally Posted by Grim FrogBreeder View Post
    Hmm that's strange, it shouldn't be there this way. You are sure it is not the frogs natural colour of legs?
    The pink on the legs is normal he has always had that. My concenr is the redness under the belly and the throat. He never had that before. And now he seems to have a really dark red spot in the middle of the throat that is also alarming as it was not there before.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What kind of frog is he? Grim FrogBreeder is right it could be natural color. As for throat/belly, can you post a better picture of that area? Frog's fat kinda covers it up XD

Quote Originally Posted by BossFrog View Post
    What kind of frog is he? Grim FrogBreeder is right it could be natural color. As for throat/belly, can you post a better picture of that area? Frog's fat kinda covers it up XD
    Hes a Carnwelli. The pink in the leg is normal as he as always had that. In the pictures posted you can see the redness as I am talking about in the belly/throat its subtle (not as pink as the legs)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'd say just keep an eye on him. If it doesn't go away within a week or two, I would take him to a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by BossFrog View Post
    I'd say just keep an eye on him. If it doesn't go away within a week or two, I would take him to a vet.
    I will try, hes currently underground and probably wont come out till late spring/early summer.

After a few months underground, I uncovered his head and he ate. I decided to give him a soak to check on him. Seems like the redness is gone now, so he didn't have red leg. Glad he is ok and eating normally. Didnt look like he lost any weight for not eating for a few months. These frogs amaze me some times.

Member needs to set country!

I'm glad it was only some irritation and nothing more. Hopefully he won't give you anymore scares.

Thread Information