Thread: A big HI from South Africa

Nationality
    [South Africa]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default A big HI from South Africa

Hi there

I live in Gauteng South Africa and having been keeping a variety of Herps for some 13 years now. I am slowly starting to move my collection over to indigenous South African amphibians purely becasue we do not have access to Exotic amphibs (we even have a zero ban on dendrobate listed as an invasive threat - rubbish!!).

I have just got my first pair of amphibs which are the banded rubber frogs (Phrynomantis bifasciatus) I am still in a learning curve but definetly it was a good starting frog for me as they are really hardy and have great appatites. I will be getting some painted reed frogs (Hyperolius marmoratus), bullfrogs (Pyxicephalus) and forest tree frogs (leptopelis natalensis) in Spring (september down here) and will see what success I will have with them.

I look forward to learning from everyone and sharing what I learn.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Default Re: A big HI from South Africa

You are very welcome to the forum sir! I hope you get around to sharing that photo you showed me and telling us more about the bullfrogs (and everything else!) .

Best wishes,

-John
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jace

Nice to meet you! I am also new to the Forum and have already received lots of great advice. I would love to see some pics of your banded rubber frogs, as I have read about them but have never seen one up close and personal. I am proud to be owned by two African Bullfrogs, Kadesh and Obi, and would highly recommend them as pets. Hope to chat with you some more soon.

Kurt

Welcome aboard. I have 5 red-banded rubber frogs and plan to breed them sometime soon. I also have a pair of Phrynomantis microps as well. Would love to have some painted reed frogs, but I have never seen them for sale here.

For those who don't know what these frogs look like, here is some links to some pics of them.

Phrynomantis bifasciatus
    http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...el-lifeform=ne

Phrynomantis microps

Hyperolius marmoratus

Leptopelis natalensis

Nationality
    [South Africa]

Thanks guys really lookign forward to learning, frog keeping is really small in South Africa so information is scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Welcome aboard. I have 5 red-banded rubber frogs and plan to breed them sometime soon. I also have a pair of Phrynomantis microps as well. Would love to have some painted reed frogs, but I have never seen them for sale here.
    Paul I have been struggling to find breeding info of banded frogs in captivity, from what I know of the wild species the females will swim out and lay her eggs in deep waters and that's as much as I know. How are you keeping yours and would you post some pics for me to get a clear idea.

Here are a few pics of some wild frogs I am sorry I was not sure where to post them so feel free to let me know if I posted them in the wrong spot:

Leptopelis natalensis (forest tree frog)

Greater Leaf folding frog (Afrixalus fornasinii)

Tinker reed frog (Hyperolius tuberilinguis)

Common river frog (Common rana)

I may be getting a few painted reed frogs in the next week (holding thumbs but doubt it) so if it happens I'll post the pics as well.

Nationality
    [South Africa]

Sorry meant Kurt not Paul.

I don't want to sound like a smart *** know it all but those pics of the leptopelis natalensis are incorrect. Not all of those are Forest Tree frogs, the are all leptopelis but only a few pics are natalensis. The first pic in the row is actually the Long Toes Tree Frog (Leptopelis xenodactylus) and the brown one is the Brown Back Tree Frog (Leptopelis mossambicus). The second one on the bottom row look like it could be more far north, perhaps Angola or Cameroon but not too clued up on the localities of African species.

The reed frogs are amazing, you can tell there localities based on colouration, the angolan species is stunning it looks like the white one with spekles in the bottom row of the file and the ones from Madagascar are even more stunning!

Nationality
    [United States]

It is great to have you with us, thanks for sharing pictures!
    God bless,

Laura

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Yes thank you very much!

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
    Sorry meant Kurt not Paul.

I don't want to sound like a smart *** know it all but those pics of the leptopelis natalensis are incorrect. Not all of those are Forest Tree frogs, the are all leptopelis but only a few pics are natalensis. The first pic in the row is actually the Long Toes Tree Frog (Leptopelis xenodactylus) and the brown one is the Brown Back Tree Frog (Leptopelis mossambicus). The second one on the bottom row look like it could be more far north, perhaps Angola or Cameroon but not too clued up on the localities of African species.
    Its OK, Paul is my father's name, for a second I thought you were addressing him. LOL

As far as incorrect pictures, it wouldn't be the first time I found the wrong pictures on the wrong page at CalPhotos. Most of the time they are dead on, but not always. I think the mistakes are made by the submitter's.

Kurt

As far as I know, no one has ever bred Phrynomantis bifasciatus. I hope to be the first. It could be a challenge.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I've seen incorrect species naming of photos on calphotos before so it does happen.

Nationality
    [South Africa]

I have never seen CalPhotos before so wasn't too sure what it was. Is it a photo sharing community or something along those lines? I think I may know one of the photographers, a guy called Wolfgang, would be a funny coincidence if its the same guy (a really stubborn, dry, intelligent German South African)

As far as I know, no one has ever bred Phrynomantis bifasciatus. I hope to be the first. It could be a challenge.
    Well lets share some info and get ours breeding

One thing I noticed with them is that for the first 2 weeks I fed them on termites and they were producing the poison but got too lazy to go and collect termites every other day and started feeding flightless fruit flies. Since this change in diet I have noticed they are not producing the poison as often, this may be due to the fact that they are now used to me and not releasing the poison, but I think its the lack of formic acid from the termites that caused the change.

My pair is still tiny (smaller than the size of a quarter) and I am keeping them in an Addiss tub with a water bowl some sphagnum moss and a piece of termite mound, I have found that during the day they are under this piece of mound and at night they will be walking around to the sphagnum moss hunting or sitting in the water bowl. I am just waiting for a friend to finish off making my cage and then I will be moving them into an exo-terra style cage, I will have a deep water bowl (with an incline) and soil and rocks with various indoor plants. Kurt, how are you keeping yours?

Here is a pic of the male

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Wow he is tiny.

Calphotos is a project of the University of California at Berkeley. I'm a big fan. It's where their Amphibiaweb.org project gets its photos.

Nationality
    [South Africa]

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Wow he is tiny.

Calphotos is a project of the University of California at Berkeley. I'm a big fan. It's where their Amphibiaweb.org project gets its photos.
    Cool, learned something new today. The female is double his size but they have both doubled in size in the last 2 weeks. I am hoping to get them big enough to get them into their viv before September. They have an amazing apatite and at first they will ambush prey but I have also witnessed them running down flightless fruit flies. They know with the termites that they can just sitting around and pick them off. Its pretty cool watching them because they walk like the bubbling kasina (Kassina senegalensis) and can move really fast.

I really hope to get these guys breeding next season.

Does anyone in the states keep foam nest frogs (Chiromantis xerampelina)?

Kurt

I keep my Phrynomantis on sphagnum with a false bottom, at least the bifasciatus are, the microps are just on sphagnum for now. Three is a PVC cap with large holes drilled in it that is utilized as a hide box by the bifasciatus. They don't seem to use it anymore. The microps have a black plastic hide box which they still very much use. The bifasciatus have a few artificial plants in their enclosure which seem appeal to them more the PVC cap. The microps have no such plants, maybe that's the reason they still use the hide box.
    I feed my Phrynomantis frogs mostly fruit flies, but they also get been weevils and small crickets. They do have good appetites. I have 5 P. bifasciatus, what I believe to be two females and one male in the main enclosure and two more in quarantine, that I believe to be male. Sadly, one of the frogs in quarantine has thinned out big time. Will take both of those frogs to the vet this weekend, not sure he can do anything for it at this point. I have two P. microps, not sure of the genders of these two frogs. My big regret with them is I only bought two. They appear to be thriving just like my trio of bifasciatus.
    I plan on building a rain chamber for breeding terrestrial types. It will be similar to my arboreal chamber. (see red-eye care article) I have all the material to do so, just need to find some ambition and energy.
    One thing I noticed is my Phrynomantis bifasciatus have more intense color than the one in the photo. Mine are jet black and blood red.

Nationality
    [South Africa]

I plan on building a rain chamber for breeding terrestrial types. It will be similar to my arboreal chamber. (see red-eye care article) I have all the material to do so, just need to find some ambition and energy.
    One thing I noticed is my Phrynomantis bifasciatus have more intense color than the one in the photo. Mine are jet black and blood red.
    Kurt these are some really good point you have brought up here. One thing I have noticed is during the day they are hiding under a dry piece of termite mound, these frogs can be found in semi arid areas in Botswana that are dry as bone so they do not seem very dependent on moisture to survive (though they would probably bury themselves in the ground if it was too dry like our rain frogs (Breviceps)) but I have noticed that if they have been on what would be the dry side of the enclosure they are a rusty brown colour and the bands are more skin colour/pink. At night they are either soaking in the water bowl or in the sphagnum moss and that colour turns really black and the red is intense. But I doubt that humidity alone (unlike white's tree frogs) is dependant on the colouration in this species, I think stress and hormones also play some part of this but would be great to observe over time.

I am moving them into a 40cm x 30cm x 40cm cage once it is completed and will have a lot of soil (I am planning on using only peat moss) and having varies indoor plants with no drainage system (only perlite at the bottom layer). I will make a cutom water bowl with a deep end and a shallow end, the deep end I am hoping they will naturally use for breeding but if not i have a back up plan.

To add a rainchamber is a really great idea. To hibernate the species in Winter and bring them out with rain is an excellent idea. To give you some inside insight, on the highveld (where the species occurs) we usually have late afternoon thunder showers which come down hard and heavy at around 4pm. They usually last less than 2 hours but are extremely heavy and the storms carry on for 4 months or so some days for 2-4 days in a row but generally is every second to third day. I am hoping that with being in Africa the rains outside accompanied by spraying the viv and barometer dropping will encourage breeding (a friend has ensured this worked for him with certain species)

Hope that helps out a bit.

p.s I am sorry to hear that your one fellow is not doing well. Based on the sexing are you looking at the throats or the size of the male in comparrisoan to female?

Kurt

My sexual identification is based on size. Last night I discovered the thin one dead. It was expected, so I am not torn up. Besides the factors you mentioned, I have also noticed that light can determine the intesity of color in frogs. After lights out I have notice that a lot of my frogs do darken in color, this is especially true of my treefrogs.

Thanks, for the insight on their natural enviroment. The only info I have to go on as far as natural history are filed guides. So thanks.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Darryn, I think you might find this useful: Endangered Wildlife Trust

Thread Information