Thread: Sand for beardies

jackdogga

Default Sand for beardies

This is for anyone who has used sand for beardies or knows someone who did. How old was your beardie when you put it onto sand?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

jjmorton13

Default Re: Sand for beardies

I used play sand for my Beardie for about a week when he was over a year old before I got rid of it. Its gets into everything, is difficult to clean since liquids seep all through it, and is in general, a bad idea to keep any reptile on it (in my opinion). Many people go years or lifetimes without having impaction problems, but to me it just isn't worth the risk. I understand that in a natural environment, they often live on sand. However, as reptile keepers, I don't believe our job is to exactly duplicate nature. Our job is to provide a happy, healthy home for captive animals. I think this can be done on sand, but I won't ever try it. I personally love alfalfa pellets as a substrate. You can get 25 lbs for $8 at walmart. Dust is generally low, the pellets are very absorptive, and if they are ingested accidentally they don't cause impaction.

Julia

I have been using sand for both of my beardies for over a year. I would not put one on it until they are 8 months old. My beardies LOVE digging in the sand, and that is the reason I use it. It is natural and looks good. There is a chance of impaction but you can greatly decrease that chance by hand feeding, or feed them in a separate container. If you are looking for an alternative then floor tile, or shelf liner are the best. If you do go for sand stay away from that calcium sand the pet stores sell. Its too dusty and the animals have a tendency to eat it! Play sand from your local hardware store is the best kind.

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by jjmorton13 View Post
    is difficult to clean since liquids seep all through it, and is in general, a bad idea to keep any reptile on it ...the pellets are very absorptive, and if they are ingested accidentally they don't cause impaction.
    Why do you have so much moisture in your dessert terrarium? Beardies NEED low humidity. If its too high then they develop respiratory infections.

jjmorton13

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    Why do you have so much moisture in your dessert terrarium? Beardies NEED low humidity. If its too high then they develop respiratory infections.
    I don't have any moisture in my enclosure. I meant moisture and liquids from urates and spilled water (if you have a water dish.)

I agree that with careful feeding, proper care and appropriate age, impaction can be greatly minimized. Like I mentioned, many people use sand and never have problems. Play sand would be the way to go if you were to choose that option.

I also agree with your calcium sand assessment. I used that temporarily in the past, but heard many bad things about it, especially impaction issues.

I guess this is where husbandry becomes a little less science, and a little more art. To each his/her own! (as long as the animal is healthy!)

JeffX

I've had my bearded on sand and reptile carpet for 7 years with no issues. I do use the vita-sand stuff, but my bearded mainly feeds along the carpet area. That is where I keep his greens and dump any crickets or worms I feed him. Still it's a good idea to keep an eye on your dragon and feed in a separate container.

Greatballzofire

I keep my fence lizards on course vermiculite (dry). They can find the crickets in it and have had no problems with impaction. Sand tended to cause problems for the hatchling fencies with impaction. The vermiculite is also a good burrowing medium.
    I put a little pan of water crystals and a shallow dish of ground cat food for the crickets and egg crate for both the lizards and the crickets, and the lizards have no trouble finding and eating the crickets. The little lizard tub has an UTH for warmth, and on sunny days can be put in the sun for UV.

I know fence lizards are not bearded dragons, LOL! but some of the same husbandry needs apply to both species.

A couple of tiny skinks also live in this tub, and are also thriving.

Thread Information