Thread: Fishy treats?

ShiftingStarlight

Default Fishy treats?

I keep many fish and of course my mollies mass produce the fry, so the ones that I don't want to eventually breed, I feed to my Ornate when they're about an inch or so. I have heard that feeding fish to Ornates is good, and that it's not so good. My squishy seems perfectly healthy, and happy to receive his fishy treats right from my hand. I'm sure it's a delicious break from crickets :P I don't see how it could be bad for him, all my fishtanks have always been top-notch clean and I don't put any chems like anti-algae, or plant fertilizer in there. I do know that fish and frog/rep water dechlorinators are not cross compatible, so maybe the fish de-chlor is bad for them? I can't see it harming them though, when it's used in the correct amount?

So here I am to get to the bottom of this, from people who know what they're talkin' about.

Discuss!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Fishy treats?

My bullfrogs eat the feeder fish I put in their tank... have not seen them eat... but the fish population is way down... and I dont' see any bodies... I think my big male has had almost 10 this week.

ShiftingStarlight

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
    My bullfrogs eat the feeder fish I put in their tank... have not seen them eat... but the fish population is way down... and I dont' see any bodies... I think my big male has had almost 10 this week.
    I'd love to see a bully catch some fish! That's something I've still never been witness to. I see you're from Missouri, that's my second home :]

Mattiez

I thought fish aquarium dechlorinator drops were fine for frogs, so long as all they are are just the simple chlorine/chloramine drops. I've been using API brand aquarium drops for my frogs, with no ill effects yet. Both my young leopard and firebelly spend hours and hours in the water and are fine. Granted, I've only had them for a couple months, but what makes you think it would be bad? Hopefully John and Kurt can give their opinions here, as I always thought simple dechlorinators were universal.

ShiftingStarlight

Quote Originally Posted by Mattiez View Post
    I thought fish aquarium dechlorinator drops were fine for frogs, so long as all they are are just the simple chlorine/chloramine drops. I've been using API brand aquarium drops for my frogs, with no ill effects yet. Both my young leopard and firebelly spend hours and hours in the water and are fine. Granted, I've only had them for a couple months, but what makes you think it would be bad? Hopefully John and Kurt can give their opinions here, as I always thought simple dechlorinators were universal.

The owner of my LFS is the one who told me that, so I guess I should of said "I know I've heard", haha. Maybe it was just the brand of drops I was asking about, that or she was just saying it. Maybe I just need an honest opinion or two. :P

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Mattiez View Post
    I thought fish aquarium dechlorinator drops were fine for frogs, so long as all they are are just the simple chlorine/chloramine drops. Hopefully John and Kurt can give their opinions here, as I always thought simple dechlorinators were universal.
    They are. I have always used dechlorinators designed for aquariums, with no ill effect. Also I don't think you can overdose all that easily. Just for the record I use Tetra's dechlorinator.

ShiftingStarlight

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    They are. I have always used dechlorinators designed for aquariums, with no ill effect. Also I don't think you can overdose all that easily. Just for the record I use Tetra's dechlorinator.
    That is what I also use, for my fish anyhow. I've got Reptisafe for my frog- I compared them a couple hours ago.

Tetra AquaSafe- Sodium Hydroxymethane Sulfinate, Chelating compounds, polyvinyl pyrollidones, Seaweed bipolymers, organic hydrocolloids.

Zoo-Med Reptisafe- Water, dechloraminating agent, synthetic organic polymers (colloids) Chelating agent, Electrolytes.

Zoo-med is supposed to stimulate slime coat production. After reading the ingredients it seems more like Gatorade for herps

Kurt

It certainly does.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingStarlight View Post
    I do know that fish and frog/rep water dechlorinators are not cross compatible, so maybe the fish de-chlor is bad for them?
    I'm a professional research chemist and my main research interest is in water chemistry and biologically relevant pollutants. I don't know of a dechlorinator product sold for fish or amphibians in the US or Europe that is not compatible with both groups of animals.

However, amphibians are sensitive to many fish medications (dechlorinator products are not a medication, despite what the label might say) and in some cases what does not harm fish can be quite poisonous to amphibians. That is probably where that information originated.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information