Thread: Hello All

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hello All

I have a paceman that I picked up a year ago and it will only eat crickets. any ideas on why?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member needs to set country!

Default Re: Hello All

Hi there! To help you out, I'll just need to get more details. Do you feed the crickets via tongs or do you simply drop them in and let him hunt? If you do the latter, he might seem to prefer them because they move a lot. Other feeders might be too slow or move too minimally to catch his eye. What else have you tried to feed him?

Nationality
    [United States]

I've tried night crawlers, waxworks. but mostly crickets. he had been at the pet store (petco) when I got him and he had specific instructions to only feed him crickets.
    n

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, sometimes they just seem to favor some feeders over others. If he was a baby when you got him/her this why it could have said to just feed to crickets, when they are babies crickets are usually the staple because they have the most movement and are easy to dust and gut load to make sure your little froggy is getting his vitamins. Once you cut up a nightcrawler small enough to feed to a baby its so small it just doesn't move. Have you tried something like hornworms, silkworms or butterworms? You cant give these all the time but they are good for treats and to throw something else into the diet. My guys love all 3 but the hornworms are there favourite. Out of the three silkworms I believe have the highest amount of protein and the least amount of fat. As asked in the previous response do you tong feed? if not this may be why he wont eat the worm, once its on the ground they don't move very fast so it may not catch his eye. And if you do I'm surprised he doesn't eat the nice big juicy nightcrawlers, my 4 adults go nuts for them and have no desire to eat crickets. Anyway as I mentioned sometimes they just stuck on a favourite and all though its good to have a variety in diet, if this all he wants to eat and he seems healthy and is getting his vitamins I wouldn't worry to much. Something you could try is when feeding the worm rub it against his bottom lip or just under it, this sometimes will make them snap at it and once he gets the taste of it most frogs will continue to eat them.

6. This member thanks monster for this post:

Thread Information