Thread: Best way to split a tank 50/50?

pixiefrogman

Default Best way to split a tank 50/50?

I am eventually going to split my tank 50/50 due to the fact that it is getting harder to find a bowl that my male pyxie can fit in , and because I like the look of the 50/50 split tanks. I was wondering what is the best material to use as a divider, and what is the best thing to seal the divider to the tank.

-TJ

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Best way to split a tank 50/50?

You can use a piece of clear plastic that you can purchase at a hardware store and then use aquarium silicone to seal and hold it in place.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

A piece of glass is the best way to permanently divide a glass tank. Get one cut to fit in the inside and secure it with aquarium silicone. Make sure the piece you get gut is reasonably thick (I would say 1/4 inch / 6 mm).

I've used Plexiglass to divide tanks - sanding the edges and using aquarium silicone to secure. This works alright but it doesn't stick half as well as glass.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

pixiefrogman

Yea, glass would be better it's just I don't have the tools to cut glass. I'll most likely have to go with plexi or thick acrylic.

John911

Quote Originally Posted by pixiefrogman View Post
    Yea, glass would be better it's just I don't have the tools to cut glass. I'll most likely have to go with plexi or thick acrylic.
    Try Home Depot. A window got broken on my gf's greenhouse that is 24x24. They sell replacement glass and the kit to cut it. a 36x24" cost about 11 bucks and the kit to cut it was about 8 bucks. I was nervous but it ended up being pretty easy. The window is pretty thin, less than 1/4 i believe.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by pixiefrogman View Post
    In the US, skip Home Depot or Lowes and go to Ace Hardware. Failing that, try Truvalue. Most Ace's have a range of useful glass thicknesses (Lowes does not, and Home Depot is pretty useless as far as glass is concerned). Ace will generally do a good job cutting it for you. I used to cut my own but now I get Ace to do it (thanks to Kurt for that original recommendation).
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

But I go to True Value. The ma and pa shops cut glass to order and for the most part Ace and True Value are all ma and pa shops.

We have a huge True Value here in Billerica, and when Home Depot wanted to come to town, the citizens fought it. We prefer our locally owned businesses over corperate America.

jjmorton13

I split my 55 gallon into 1/3 water 2/3 dry for my African Bullfrog using plexi purchased from Lowe's that I cut to size myself with a box cutter and a straight edge. Aquarium silicone adhered well to the plexi, but I also sanded the edges to rough them up just to make sure. I also scored the plexie using a dremel in order to add some grip for my frog to get out. Seems to be holding up great so far.

Thread Information