Thread: Best Fantasy Frog (C. cranwelli x C. cornuta) Diet?

mdurks17

Default Best Fantasy Frog (C. cranwelli x C. cornuta) Diet?

Nutritionally I've been reading very different things both on this website as well as the rest of the web. One thing I've noticed that hasn't been contradicted is the need for me to pick up a Calcium D3 supplement. Other than that, I am looking for the best diet my frog needs. My original plan was to breed Earthworms but the local WalMart does not carry live bait anymore (and therefore no worms). I will have to drive to a one a little further away tomorrow to check but other than that what are good options? This is what I've thought of:

Yes:
    Mice every once in awhile
    Superworms
    Mealworms
    Some species of roach? (I have hissing roaches but they breed awful slow and the babies stay pretty small for awhile)

No:
    Crickets (can't stand the smell and since I want to breed my own these are the last I would want)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kevin1

Default Re: Best Fantasy Frog (C. cranwelli x C. cornuta) Diet?

The best diet would be mostly earthworms and crickets/roaches. Superworms and mealworms aren't very nutritional. Mice are a little too rich and very fatty. Many people have had problems feeding too many rodents.
    The large night crawlers Walmart sells are the Canadian night crawlers. These are very difficult to breed in a captive situation. But I hear European and African night crawlers are much easier to breed. Africans are supposed to be the fastest breeders. I use lobster roaches for my frog but dubia were mine(and his) favorite.

mdurks17

I picked up two things of Canadian and one thing of panfish/trout worms (I suspect E.hortensis). Currently the Canadians are in a glad container in my fridge (kept at 34F). I fear this may be too cold, but since I heard they die above 65 it's better they're in there I suppose. Can anyone confirm or deny this? And the eurocrawlers are in a second tub in a dark corner. I will be picking up my frog tomorrow so hopefully these are good. Also picked up a big thing of Calcium + D3 Powder.

Kevin1

I've read that E. Hortensis die above 65. But I've also read that they can survive 80 degrees for short periods of time. I've never kept the species before, though I'd like to. Sounds like your good on food..for now.lol

Thread Information