Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 125 Gallon PA Woods Vivarium

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 125 Gallon PA Woods Vivarium

Here are the night noises from the 125 Gallon and listen at 8 seconds to hear from Bandit the Wood Frog. He was claiming his territory. This is the Facebook page for the 125 Gallon PA Woods Vivarium like it for exclusive content and updates on videos and more!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...02141930246413

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

My Gray Tree Frog Christian calling in my 125 Gallon PA Woods Vivarium built for American Toads and Gray Tree Frogs

https://youtu.be/XCsaZQqUBHg

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here are the two male Gray Tree Frogs Christian and Bane sleeping together. Ace still sleeps at the front of the tank that's her territory and Pious hangs out with her still. Those two hang out the most for toads. The picture of the flower is my North American Day Lilly blooming in my tank!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

An update on the video and other information

The video is together but in having a hard time for the narration on it. It will be how I built the enclosure so it will be made up of pictures mostly and the next video will be showing the interactions of the amphibians. I'm very impressed by the camera and you will be too. Some parts I had to shoot with my phone so the quality is not that good compared to the camera. I'm looking forward to starting up some different playlists for you all to see one will be featuring Gray Tree Frogs and American Toads specifically and each species and each animals perspective inside the enclosure. Another playlist will be of the 125 Gallon which will be the feature playlist. It will have updates and mini series including a series called Seasons where I talk about how the animals are doing in the different seasons and I will feature various "weather conditions" that I will create from devices that relate to the specific season in Pennsylvania. Another mini series will be Swarms which will feature various feeder bugs being released and how the Toads and Tree Frogs interact with them.

Toads
    The toads have settled in meaning Ace Pious and Wellsboro. King will be taken back to his home soon and Queen will be added in his place. Wellsboro is still the dominant animal and he will be taken out during feeding. All the toads are peaceful towards the Tree Frogs so all is good. I'll be interested to see how the female Tree Frogs interact with the Toads seeing as how much bigger they will be.

Gray Tree Frogs
    These guys are very nocturnal so I haven't seen them eat but once but they are fat and Christian shed already not to mention both frogs were calling within the first week of being in the enclosure. The Gray Tree Frogs could actually try to escape and I'm not saying they 100% could but I have White's Tree Frogs and they always are curious and try to see if they can get out but these two tree frogs must be very happy and they must feel they have it pretty good. I'm excited to get these guys moving around more in the enclosure.

Bandit is a very lucky frog. He is going to have the opportunity to move into the 75 Gallon after the other tanks are built. He is doing great and has given up climbing the top of the enclosure. He will be happier with his own species and a bog setup. I'm excited to have his species and to document one of the most abundant frog species of Eastern North America.

Devices
    The Mistking is done at 7 sprayers but I'll need two more so I'll be purchasing the Monsoon Solo because I need the background sprayed more. The light is set where I want it. I'm pleased with some spots being darker for the shade plants. The Repti Temp will control the fan to save the life on it and I'll get a hygrometer to see the humidity to see if I need another fan to take the humidity down. The Fogger is going to be the Evergreen Pet Supplies Fogger. It'll only have one tube shooting fog into the enclosure because I have the other fogger and the 2 piece which creates fog from two tubes for the exotic enclosures so this way they have some cool stuff too. This will not cover the enclosure most likely but it will do a great job.

The enclosure is not finished but it's really close. I'm excited to share in videos what I have and the progress moving forward.

What playlist sounds the most interesting?

What feeder insects would you like to see the Gray Tree Frogs and American Toads take down?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The most important updates up to now...

I'll start by ruining the mood with saying I couldn't post the videos yet I'm working on them but in this update I'll explain why...

So I started the week planning on building a bog vivarium with Bandit and the Green Frogs but that changed. I saw these little gnats flying at my light and Bandit was noticing them. He was determined to get them but I didn't think he was that serious I figured he would lose interest and I went downstairs to eat and such which was a few hours. I came back and saw Bandit on my floor and he turned and looked at me. He let me catch him but I put him in the 10 Gallon because I knew he knew how to escape the 125 Gallon. He was lucky my room was dark and the air conditioner was on 66 so he was good probably for a few more hours. I had a tough decision to make. If I kept Bandit he would not be able to return to the 125 Gallon because he knew where to escape again and I was not ready to build his tank I had reasons why there were two tanks ahead of his so it wasn't looking good. A couple days before this I kept hearing a voice saying to do what I do best and for my animals sake I knew I'm very advanced with keeping Tree Frogs, and Toads especially. So it was a tough decision but after 3 days of thinking about it I chose to let all the Green Frogs go. They are at my mom's pond and I will miss Bandit he raised the bar for pond frogs.

Toads

As I let the frogs go I also let King III go in my Wood Pile where other toads are. He came down to the pond and began singing. It was over for him when he climed the tank to the top to try and get the tree frogs. Ace and Pious stayed together and slept together 4 nights out of this past week and they learned the can dig into my background which will need repaired and to be toad proof now lol. Wellsboro is on the complete other side of the tank and all is peaceful. The toads don't go after the tree frogs and the tree frogs are going to be able to catch more crickets. Now that Bandit and King III are gone it completely changed the territory lines of the tank. All three toads cohabitate peacefully now and Pious and Wellsboro do sit together and are not territorial with one another. Wellsboro did claim a log in the tank he can hide in. Pious spends his time around the Moss Hut and Ace hangs out in the front and back of the tank she's like a nomad. I may introduce Queen now to the tank since everyone is peaceful. She's small but she actually lived with Wellsboro and Bandit in a 10 gallon and had her own territory.

Tree Frogs

These guys were more active this week. Christian the smaller one is very active. He comes down to the floor of the tank and he sits near Ace or she walks over to him and then they end up sitting together until she leaves and Christian just waits to see if he can find crickets and also to explore. He has claimed the top of the largest plant my Autumn Sedum and he turns green to blend in with the plant. He also got hit with the sprayer for the first time and I turned my air conditioner on because it was 79 in my room. It went from 79-60 really fast and I turned the mister and the newly installed fogger on at the same time. He woke up from a deep sleep and went up to the top and began calling heavy like he was triggered to breed. I think I successfully created a good enough artificial simulation for him to feel the need to mate. Bane the larger male is more shy but he has been eating I've seen him catching crickets this week. He's more hesitant to come down and eat then Christian. He sleeps in a small cave I created which is cool. The way Bandit escaped these frogs could have at any moment but they do not at all try. They seem truly happy I'm actually surprised how at home they are. At least I know they are loyal lol and yes I did patch the hole.

I went and bought online 500 Banded Crickets from Josh's Frogs and it's my first time with them so I hope everything goes great. Could this potentially be the first Swarm to invade the PA Woods Vivarium? I have to re evaluate the amount of feeders I buy now because I'll have less animals and more of the same kind. I saved a one eye toad and it actually didn't leave my hand when I set it in the grass so I kept it. It will go in a separate tank. I am now planning on having a second PA Woods Vivarium but for the offspring of the toads and tree frogs to live. So I'll have one offspring from each pair of animals. One from Ace and a male, one from Queen and a male, one from Christian and a female and one from Bane and a female. The 4 amphibians will join this unnamed toad in a tank I'll be purchasing later this year after all the construction is done with everything else. This toad will not be as active as the other toads so it's okay to live with the other offspring. The one eye toad can mate with one of the offspring from the 125 Gallon and create another pool of genes for the toads.

The fogger was installed in the tank as well. The tank is around 75% done. I need the two female tree frogs and queen as well as some plants and some updates to the background. I'm very happy how it turned out!

I am planning on getting a really cool tank for the offspring tank.

What was the most exciting or interesting update to you?

Are you excited for the upcoming videos? I have 2 I'm making and maybe the first Swarms video.

Have you ever seen a mixed species tank feeding video? How do you think it will go without King and Bandit?

What tank do you think would be cool for an offspring tank I'm looking for suggestions? You may sway me away from the tank I'm planning on.

I'm going to make the White's Tree Frog care sheet and American Toad care sheet first.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am trying to decide which picture would be a better cover photo for my 125 gallon enclosure for my tree frogs and toads I have two pictures that could potentially make the cover but I was wondering what your opinion was if you liked picture one better or picture to please comment what you think looks better below

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

This week's agenda is to debut on social media and some renovations...

I have had a vote with family friends and you all on here for a cover photo and we had a lot of people vote and it almost was even it's a 1 vote difference. So I'm going to use both photos. If you are familiar with sports games they choose an athlete each year to be the cover of their product that year and for 2018 it's Ace (Female American Toad) and Christian (Male Gray Tree Frog) because of their high activity and tame/interesting behavior. I took both pictures of them today because they kept coming towards the camera. Wellsboro could be the solo star in 2019 or Bane or these two could repeat it's open to whoever earns it. So how it's going to work is on the Facebook Page you can checkout the advertisement that will announce the day and time the video will be posted. It's supposed to be a hype video similar to how ESPN advertises for a primetime game. This is the flagship product of my enclosures so to me it's primetime. Swarms, Seasons and Perspective will be the 3 series on the 125 Gallon playlist. I will have an advertisement and promote it with enough time for you to get excited from the advertisement and space it out so you can watch the feature video and enjoy the build up each time before, during the video and looking forward to the next one. The inspiration for the YouTube and Facebook page come from a few places such as other YouTube Channels KAMP KENAN and ANTS CANADA as well as the Crocodile Hunter and the advertisements are inspired how ESPN advertises for sports such as college football.

Tomorrow I will be cleaning the glass, cleaning poop since I don't have established colonies of cleaners yet and I'll be fixing spots on the lid that are possible ways for escaping. There was another I found and if those tree frogs were not happy or didn't like my enclosure they could have actually escaped already so I'm very fortunate they love the setup. I mean it it's not a question of if they could have escaped they could have 100% if they wanted. These frogs are very appreciative animals. It's ashame people keep them in smaller enclosures because they use all the room a 6 foot long tank provides. I'm not saying a smaller tank is bad because they would be happy in something small as a 40 gallon but people keep them in 5 gallon aquariums and smaller tanks and that's why they die so fast. I will also be checking the fogger and mister to make sure they are good. I'll do an electronics update so I'll also check the fan and repti temp and the iPod playing the daily cycle of noises. This way everything is good. I'll also keep observing the animals to make sure they are in good health.

They will all hibernate after January 2nd. This day will be the award ceremony for all my vivariums. Once they wake up they will be individually tested for worms and disease. We will also be searching for the final 2 female tree frogs if we do not find them this summer. Next spring we will search. I will have an offspring enclosure for one specimen from each couple to inhabit. 2 baby toads and 2 baby tree frogs is the goal. The unnamed one eye toad will be in this setup. I am going to get a 72 Gallon Bow Front tank for the second PA Woods Vivarium.

My Day Lilly has new buds and will bloom more and my Autumn Sedum made a dramatic come back. It's about to bloom now too. I am awaiting the Banded Crickets army to arrive and challenge the ecosystem of the PA Woods. The House Cricket and Earthworms will be the first video of Swarms but will be the 3rd video to be released. My worms actually laid eggs in a bin I keep them in. I was shocked to see it but I'm very happy.

I tested Christian to see if he would go after earthworms and I was surprised to find out he will so this will be something fun to watch for possibly in the first video of Swarms.

What is your takeaway from the advertisements and the information about what my agenda is?

Are you surprised to hear a tree frog attempting to eat a worm?

Do you think I picked the right animals to be the cover animals for the PA Woods this year?

You can view the pictures below and I was wondering if you guys think I should create a new thread of this build now that I have the actual animals and it's built so I can actually give care for the animals and I can maybe make it more clear for others new or just discovering my work? Let me know!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

We are breaking up...the 125 Gallon

I was able to watch the animals after I had the fogger on for a few hours and saw a window of opportunity. See now that I have the animals and I see what I want and what works I am making adjustments. I thought how I will have 2 enclosures for my tree frogs and toads so why not maximize the spaces like in the wild? I found a way to increase the space and have all my animals and add the two female gray tree frogs.

The two tanks will have pairs of tree frogs and toads. Ace and Pious are staying in the 125 gallon with Christian and his mate Meredith when I get her. Wellsboro and the one eye toad and Bane will go in the second enclosure with his mate when I get her. They will be able to bond and it will give the animals the most space and then I can introduce insects to clean the poop and the plants up for me.

The Skinks have been showing signs of being disinterested in their 75 gallon so I'm giving them the 30 Gallon. They don't seem to catch food in the 75 gallon as efficient as I thought they would. So I actually am just going to use the 75 gallon for the other tank. Wellsboro and the one eye toad and Bane will be going in there. When each pair mates (hopefully) the opposite pairs offspring will join the opposite enclosure. When those offspring are able to mate I'll separate them so they can make a third group of toads and tree frogs.

What do you think of my decision to have two toads in a 125 gallon? Do you think this enclosure is too big for 4 animals?

Are you excited to see Wellsboro and Bane get their own setup? They are the biggest of the two species.

Will this make the videos more interesting to see less animals in the enclosures?

Small update.
    I'm attempting to breed mealworms and red wrigglers because I saw in their bins the works mated and the mealworms were beetles. I am going to feed them and care for them and maybe something cool will happen.

Have you ever fed your animal a mealworm beetle?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Two big updates!

The Banded Crickets are here!

There is a stand still for now as the Banded Crickets have traveled a far distance and need to recover for the battle. While they feast and prepare for the first war of the PA Woods I upgraded their food. They get bird seed, Betta Fish Food, Zoo Med Repti-Vite, Cricket Chow and Pond Fish Food. They get Flukers Water Gel with calcium added. So they are having a good feast.

Meanwhile in the PA Woods some hungry Toads await. The Banded Crickets army is much larger in size which makes the Gray Tree Frogs useless in defending the woods. It falls on the toads. While they await this battle I got the tree frogs and toads Rep-Cal the two bottles. Multivitamins and Calcium with D3 as well as a parasite medicine Para Zap. The parasite medicine is because it will help with anything these amphibians have and could slowly take away the parasites before they get checked. So we will have some healthy amphibians!

Last night Pious climbed up the Autumn Sedum and put his head on Christian. An American Toad put his head on a Gray Tree Frog. I got pictures on my camera but don't have them yet. It was nice to see. Then Christian moved over and sat next to Pious. I bet a tree frog never thought it would have to sit on top of a plant and have to make room for a toad while up there lol Ace and Pious have done this all the time. They did it with the Lizards also.

So I'll have to upload some videos post some pictures and update you all. There may be one more device we are planning to install in the PA Woods.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The first two videos are being worked on and might be out before July 15!

Other news too...

The American Toads are doing well and are hungry! Pious stole the week for the toads because of how friendly he was. While the toads are the biggest animal it doesn't mean it's just their home. They share it with the Tree Frogs and it was nice seeing both species cohabitate the way they have. I can say all of the toads are hungry and ready for the showdown with the Banded Crickets. The first battle starts tomorrow in the PA Woods. Tomorrow's update will be big.

The tree frogs have good and bad news. The tree frogs had a good week and Christian was more active as always. I know these two are hungry for some crickets also. There may be an alliance of the two species of crickets to invade the PA Woods. Good thing the Gray Tree Frogs will stand by on look out and will aid the toads in the first Swarm invasion.

While I was excited for everything to have worked out the green frogs were given a pond and King III was given a wood pile I came across a small problem. Christian is 100% a Gray Tree Frog. His personality and call matches. Bane however is a Copes Gray Tree Frog. I came across the discovery with help from my girlfriend. Bane has a much deeper call and he is very different from Christian. Bane only comes to the ground to get food and water. Christian is always moving on the ground and seems to use the entire tank. I have a tough decision to make now with what I'm going to do with him. He's mine I'm not giving him up and he eats and looks healthy. I was going to split up Bane and Christian but now I have even more reason. Now I have to decide if I'll have to keep Copes Gray Tree Frogs too or what I'll do. His discovery comes at a good time because I will be building another setup for him and Wellsboro. I am going to make the enclosure more arboreal for him. The plus is the Copes Gray Tree Frog is bigger and highly arboreal so these frogs actually won't come into contact with Wellsboro as much. The Gray Tree Frogs when I get all my specimens will be moved into the 125 Gallon now so the Copes can live in the 75 Gallon. This sets the number for the 125 Gallon to 2 Toads and 4 Tree Frogs. The tree frogs are much much smaller then the toads so the added 2 tree frogs will not effect the toads. I have a lot of thinking to do now with what I'm going to do.

So we have the Ace, Pious and the Gray Tree Frogs in the 125 Gallon then we have Wellsboro and Belmont (One Eyed Toad) and the Copes Gray Tree Frogs with the 75 Gallon and an Exo Terra 18x24 Vivarium available. The goal of offspring is also real which is planned for with another 2 toads and 2 Gray Tree Frogs but maybe not Copes Gray Tree Frogs. Looks like just when I have things figured out I end up needing to figure out something else.

What do you think would be a good decision to do with the newly discovered Copes Gray Tree Frogs? Should I keep a group of them and keep them with Wellsboro and Belmont? Or should I just get Bane a mate and release their tadpoles where I get the mate from?

Do you want to see Belmont in the upcoming Swarms video?

Should we have a second part to the swarms video with the Mealworm Beetle vs Gray Tree Frogs?

What would be a cool idea to add to an Arboreal part to a 75 Gallon?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The most spectacular observation of nature inside my enclosure

When I released the banded crickets I wasn't sure what to expect. I was very surprised with the first day of the swarm!

First Swarms Battle Round 1

One thing I quickly learned from the Banded Crickets is that they are intelligent. I released them into the enclosure in my large plant and they all stayed in the plant. Not one left to explore. I hadn't seen Pious in a while, Ace was sleeping in the back of a hide and Wellsboro was sleeping in a hide. The toads didn't know the crickets were even in their enclosure. But the Gray Tree Frogs knew immediately something was in their territory. Christian was on the far left of the tank and Bane was on the right. And idk if my frogs are different or if this was their natural behavior but they watched the crickets move around in the plant. They were very patient and just when I thought the Banded Crickets were too big the smallest frog in the enclosure Christian jumped at one and was the first to eat a banded cricket. Bane was watching on the other side and once Christian caught one he grabbed one. Both tree frogs came to the ground watching to see a vulnerable cricket and just then from behind the hide out comes Ace. She was very interested in the crickets. She was in the back of the plant with Christian on the left and Bane on the right they had a stand still for about 15 minutes nobody moved. All three amphibians were stalking the crickets but no crickets were dumb enough to come out of the plant. Just then Bane climbed to a nozzle above the plant actually where he slept and I thought he was done eating but he actually used the nozzle for better position on the crickets. They didn't notice him. He looked more like Batman swooping down and grabbing a cricket and he caused a sudden panic then Christian lunged at a cricket on the bottom of the plant and Ace grabbed two then another stand still. Then the only one who caught crickets was Bane. The Banded Crickets climbed down noticing the front of the tank was not occupied. They ran in zigzags and hid under the leaf litter and began mating. Ace and Christian just were waiting to ambush a cricket that came out of the leaf litter. Bane still continued his strategy as some crickets climbed the background he would jump on top of them and go back to his perch. He sheded before I put the crickets in and he looks healthy. The winners from today were hands down the Gray Tree Frogs. They were the reason Ace got any. I never saw frogs and toads work together but the tree frogs looked like they actually worked together as one caused a distraction the other grabbed some and then Ace grabbed the crickets that tried to run in the back. They all were smart enough to all work together. All this happened in an hour.

When I saw Bane shed idk what he is. I don't want to miss identify him so I'm going to wait to get any Copes Tree Frogs. One thing is Bane will be able to compete in an enclosure with Wellsboro. I'm very happy how exciting these little frogs are and to see them hunting with the toads was incredible. Bane was the spectacular hunter. Tomorrow I'll add Belmont and she just ate some small crickets but is always hungry. She is actually a very good hunter.

So the possible over population of tree frogs seems to have been averted as of now.

Are you surprised with how proficient the Gray Tree Frogs were today? I sure was they were very interesting and intelligent.

Have you seen my new video yet?
    https://youtu.be/oKJB0DhQlnc

The next video will be the Banded Crickets, European Crickets and Mealworm Beetles Swarms. The videos will continue to get better I didn't want to give you everything in an introduction to the enclosure. You'll see a lot more in the Swarms video. Let me know if you like the new video!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Some updates!

The Swarms episode is coming along. Belmont is in the 125 Gallon and doing great. I have found another Gray Tree Frog and I think it's a female. If it is I'll see which male she bonds with and that's the enclosure she will go in.

I'm really excited to have a Northern PA Vivarium and a Western PA Vivarium. There will be a difference because I have a large UTH on the back of the 75 Gallon which will be the Northern Setup. This may give the enclosure a 5 degree difference and I may use a T5 Fixture to give more heat. My inspiration for this comes from Pine Creek which was the trail I walked on when up north. Since people go to this spot up north to fish I felt it was necessary to have a waterfall that has a small stream that will keep the mosquito fish I have currently. This is a native species of fish and the most durable fish. This will be the first time I included fish in a pa setup that was planned. The goal is to create more humidity and heat in the northern setup and because I've been looking at the weather I see it's colder at night and warmer in the day. I can't make it cooler then the other tank at night but I can increase heat. If I go with a T5 Fixture then I can't have as accurate day night cycle it would be 4 types. Morning, afternoon, evening and night. I may be able to make some tweaks adding another fixture with a T5 one but it won't be like the 125 gallon light. This project will be on going as this year goes on.

The western woods is about done. I have some plants to add to the water, the background and to add crops. The devices are set and I just need a female tree frog and I may have just found one. One enclosure will have it's inhabitants with a pair of toads and tree frogs and one will need one more tree frog. The western woods will also need it's background updated because the toads climb it and dig into it so when I hibernate them I'll fix it. They eat the Banded Crickets tomorrow and I'll attempt the Mealworm Beetle as well. I have an army of mealworm beetles now so it'll be interesting to see if the toads and tree frogs eat them.

Some of my playlists will not have as many episodes this year since the tank hasn't really been up for that long but I will have a lot of content. I'll explain some tweaks I am making tomorrow. I'll have more news on the Swarms video and have more information on how Belmont does.

Have you ever heard of a rain wall or seen it in an enclosure?

Which enclosure has you more interested the Western enclosure or the Northern?

What devices should I add to the northern setup?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Banded and European Crickets Round 2 for first Swarms video!

So I had a lot more deaths this week right before I was able to feed the big tank. I will have to feed the Mealworm beetles and earthworms until the Banded Crickets get to my house. I ordered a size down and half the amount I ordered this time to try to use them all. Tonight was doing great I got an amazing shot of Ace hunting a banded cricket and after she ate one the lights went out for the day. Tonight was just not my night and these guys at least got around 15 crickets so some of the amphibians ate at least 1 or 2.

I am still trying to balance the cycle of insects I'll need between the enclosures. 2 types of crickets, earthworms, waxworms, mealworms, wax moths, mealworm beetles, Woodlice and some surprises for video. I am going to allow the crickets to lay eggs this time while they wait to invade the different enclosures. Maybe I'll have some extra Crickets laying around. My mealworm beetles are beginning to breed. I saw how many there are and how big they are. They seem really happy lol no care in the world and earthworms too they are breeding.

I am going to buy a powdered substance that will increase color in amphibians and reptiles. Reds and yellows are what stand out and get more colorful and the toads have red and yellow pigments and I'm interested to see what it does to the gray tree frogs. This is a substance that has fungus and other materials that most wild insects would eat and how wild amphibians would use the fungus and such as an antioxidant. This alone is big for me and my wild animals but it helps their eyes. This substance protects the eyes limiting the harmful intake the lights have on the eyes of the frogs. Gray tree frogs in old age suffer vision problems so this could prolong the vision of these frogs.

Some of the devices like the rain wall would be crucial to a live background because it could keep the background moist and the water would be siphoned by the moss. This is actually the most authentic way to make rain if you use a rain wall then any mister. This will be added as well as a background to make the background look as if it's getting runoff from a mountain and the water would meet at the bottom and be where my little stream is. Would I have room for fish in a 75 Gallon with 2 terrestrial toads? The answer is it depends on how it's built. The whole enclosure will not be moist and damp just the piece of the background so the toads can stay out of the water. Remember the humidity up north where this tank was inspired by is higher and it's more consistent as higher. Toads are found in various places and there will be enough room for the two to navigate. The Gray Tree Frog likes moist climates it can possibly induce breeding faster and easier since they would be around a veneral pool. There would have to be a spot where there is water and no fish. That will be a challenge. Some devices I'm considering a fogger, mister and either a T5 or LED fixture. I'm also thinking about some cool pond or aquarium devices to use for my water feature. A bubbler would be cool. Maybe a moon light to display the animals.

Let me know what devices that you think would be coolest.

Have you ever created a background with water running down it?

Have you ever used the horn worm before?

Hey! What up? Nice set up. Hey does that light give off uvb rays for the gray tree frogs?

16. This member thanks JGuinan007 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JGuinan007 View Post
    Hey! What up? Nice set up. Hey does that light give off uvb rays for the gray tree frogs?
    Hey I saw your question and I will be able to answer it tomorrow night when I do my usual update but as for my light no this is a LED light. I have read that especially Gray Tree Frogs can become blinded easier if exposed to UVB enough and this usually takes place over the course of years but I figured since these frogs are able to adapt and if I use the right supplements then the uvb would not be necessary. If you use small amounts of UVB that's okay but I am more comfortable using the supplements with these tree frogs. Some people might like to use UVB as a main source or additional source of D3 for these frogs but I also have American Toads so this would not be necessary for the toads. The tree frogs don't seem to mind just having an LED light. I do believe the White's Tree Frog should have UVB because they are much bigger and need a warmer climate. The uvb lights give off some heat as well and I was not looking to have heat in this enclosure. I'm trying to keep this setup in a 60's-70's range for temperature. I think if you were to use both an LED and also a UVB that would be bright and you could use the UVB for a sure way the frogs get D3. I would recommend Exo Terra UVB bulbs because they are brighter and I use them for my White's Tree Frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's a good idea about the wall and yeah I'd probably have it over flow.

The first Swarms Battle coming soon!
    More updates too...

I got the little tree frog and I was not aware how small the frog is. Its so small it's crazy. I'm raising an infant tree frog now lol I'm praying it's a female. I thought it was. Anyways I had a big feeding day today. I gave them 3 rounds of crickets tonight and I was surprised what I saw. Ace seems to have become the leader again. She was moving all around and she seems to hunt the Banded Crickets the best along with Bane the larger male Gray Tree Frog. Wellsboro and Pious were pretty even. Wellsboro dug some holes in the substrate and the crickets hid in them. When I was home the tree frogs didn't eat but I found a lot of poop from them last week. I saw Belmont was as active as Ace so maybe it's just the female toads are more active but she was too small so she couldn't compete with Ace and the toads. The good thing about Belmont is she is tame and trusts me so when I grab her in the tank she lets me. I put her in the small holding tank with some crickets and she hunted down some of the banded crickets and got her fill. I put Christian in there too because he's the second smallest but he didn't eat any crickets. He is like Ace they won't eat unless in their enclosure. That's honorable but not good if they need to be separated from the others.

I think it will be great when there's only two toads because then the toads and tree frogs will get their fill and I won't have to worry about taking someone out. I think if it's just Belmont and another toad she will get some. Even Bane being a top hunter is small and has to take a break after eating one at a time. She would get a good opportunity to catch some Crickets.

I'm interested to see how the dynamics of each tank will change once the amphibians are split up. It will be interesting to see how Bane and Belmont and Wellsboro interact and how they will hunt and coexist. I'm excited to see how the fish will bring more life to the tank. If the baby frog is a female it will be nice to have all the inhabitants for the 125 gallon and will be cool to see how things change without Wellsboro and Bane. If I had to rank them in their hunting ability
    Ace
    Wellsboro/Pious
    Bane
    Christian/Belmont (Tied)

Christian can hunt very good but he's just so much smaller he doesn't catch food as easily as Bane. With 2 of the top 3 hunters being moved that should give Pious the opportunity to gain weight and for Christian to eat more because Meredith would take months to get big enough to go in. She won't hibernate unless she gets to 1 inch. I'll have to thin out the amount of crickets so they don't over run the enclosures. The Swarms Battles should be very fun because it would be like two sides at war and having different battles in different territories. We will get to see how a specific ecosystem handles the flow in and out of the crickets. I'll be able to add the Woodlice when the animals are split up.

The first Swarms Battle will be just the Banded Crickets because they are such a crucial part to the diet of these animals. I think I may use the Banded Crickets more then the European ones because the tree frogs and toads seem to like them and they dont escape. I think I got good shots of both species so I'll be putting the video together this week and next week.

I have been getting the most important supplements for my amphibians that I feel they need and it will help keep them healthier and happier. I believe these supplements are a necessity and for anyone who keeps toads and tree frogs separate or together the supplements on Josh's Frogs is the same. They will be posted below.

What do you think about Wellsboro and Bane being in the same enclosure with how dominant they are as hunters?

Are you excited to see Belmont the female one eyed toad and the baby tree frog?

How much do you think the dynamics of the 125 gallon will change for Ace Pious and Christian?

Did you know!
    This may be the first time documented on YouTube the American Toad and Gray Tree Frog have hunted and eaten the Banded Cricket?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

We got some issues and I used the underground pump today and this is the end...

Today I drained the water at the bottom of my tank and was very happy because it worked as I had hoped. It got the water out fast. I'm considering getting water plants and plants for the background. The progress is 80% and if I have a female tree frog and she bonds with Christian it goes to 85%.

This will be the last post on this thread as I will create a new thread and begin a new chapter. This thread was all about the speculation on how I would build the enclosure and what would go into it. We have our answer on everything from the animals to plants to the background to temperature. I will be excited to share from a finished product how this epic journey will go. How will the PA Woods Vivariums move forward and how different will these adapt from the original ideas? It will be interesting to have two similar climates but tailored different due to different parts of the state. I'm very happy I have the animals I do. I will have to hibernate them in different enclosures too so there's no confusion and so the amphibians can be placed into their right enclosure. Thanks to everyone who supported this idea and helped me as I went along with the build. I have 3 other builds to make and a lot to do but I got through the most important part with the help of everyone. I hope you will all follow the next thread and the continued journey of these amphibians. The next thread will cover both enclosures and it will have care sheets, links to videos and links to the Facebook page. You will see a lot of Woodlice and Banded Crickets in the next thread. I'll be bringing the Woodlice to the enclosure and populating my enclosures with them. The upcoming journey of breeding and raising the young and recreating weather and natural parts of the PA climate will be fun to document.

So this leads to the problem. I saw the toads looking like they were itching their legs and idk what it could be. I checked to see if their was anything I could see and I got a bright flashlight and saw two things. I saw a red looking mite I believe as a spider mite and fungus gnats. I think one of these is pestering the toads. It's only on the ground and I never saw Ace irritated but the two males were. I'm not sure if it's the gnats or red mites but I'm still researching and I'll have to see if I can get a sample of feces to take to the vet of Pious. If it's nemetodes or a parasite I'll be able to do something. If mites are making the toads irritated I'll have to buy predator mites. If gnats I'll have to figure something out. It's not a fatal problem right now I see every so often they get irritated but they don't have any marks or don't show any irritation on third skin.

Have your frogs ever kicked their legs together or used one leg to scratch another one?

What is one thing you are looking forward to seeing in the next thread?

Which enclosure do you think will be more interesting for you to see the 125 gallon with Ace and Christian the most active two amphibians I have or the 75 gallon with Wellsboro and Bane two of the most fierce predators I have?

Did you know!
    Woodlice can out compete harmful mites by eating their food source?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think I found my problem. No toad was doing this in their previous setup. I believe it's the mulch in with the toads. I'll have to take it out and mix the soil another way without mulch. I think it's irritating their skin.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hey guys! Checkout the Gray tree frogs new storyline and thread in the link below
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information