Thread: Aging frog?

Default Aging frog?

I just had a question about how to know if your frog is getting old or not?

My very first clawed frog, Mojo, is a rescue, I have no idea how old she is but I've had her for probably two years now. Within the last few weeks she's started to seem like she's been losing weight, which was a relief to me at the time because I'd had some issues fighting with soft bloat. Now she is fairly angular, almost hunch-backed, compared to the other frog in the tank, Molly (Also a rescue I got three months ago, the previous owner told me she was three years old). Within the last few days I've noticed Mojo had stopped eating with her usual enthusiasm, she would take everything I offered her but she ate it like it was a chore. Then she'd only eat two or three pellets, and when I tried to feed her yesterday she wouldn't even eat one. I bought some frozen beefheart today and tried that to see if that would help with appetite and weight but she wouldn't take that either. I've heard ACFs can go off their food in the winter sometimes, could that be it?

Whenever I express my concerns to my mother, she reminds me that we don't know how old Mojo is, and it might just be that she's getting elderly and slowing down as a result, but I'm not convinced something else isn't wrong. It could just be because I'm frustrated; I just convinced Molly to start eating the reptomin and now Mojo's stopped.

Important information:
    Last water test was exactly a week ago by my local pet store: PH was a little too acidic and water was a little hard but nitrates, nitrites, chlorine and ammonia were all not at stressful levels. I did a water change after I got the test done and I did a water change yesterday. The two are in a 20 gal long with a 30 gallon filter. They are fed reptomin pellets by hand, as many as four or five at a time, every other day. (Molly is apparently picky and outright refuses to eat the pellets unless I've soaked them in thawed bloodworms first, Mojo used to eat anything that was put in front of her). Mojo gets earthworms every few days in the summer when the local bait shop stocks them again, and once or twice every winter I buy feeder guppies for some variety.

If I've left any necessary information out feel free to ask! Thanks in advance for your help, as much as owning Mojo's taught me, I know there's probably still a lot to know!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Aging frog?

Hi Aylaa what you have described within your post you are very knowledgeable and caring # I also have 2 rescued frogs Gizmo was first small male ' then gonzo(female) joined him 1 yr latter # neither can I age and both frogs have personalities (gizmo) the small male has no real appetite but I have learned this# unless your frogs are not eating after 2 weeks then look back post I created for appetite l

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Aging frog?

Thank you very much! It's good to hear that for as rough a start I got I'm improving on taking care of them! I'm going to write this information down for the future.

Unfortunately, Mojo died at some point on the same night I posted this question. I found her in the morning on my way to go to work. Not sure why, despite her refusal to eat she'd seemed active enough that night. I just hope it wasn't a mistake on my part!

Thread Information