Thread: Poorly grey tree frog

Unhappy Poorly grey tree frog

So i noticed one of my grey tree frogs has been sitting oddly lately. Usually, he sits with all his limbs tucked beneath him when he's sleeping. But now he sits with his leg just hanging limp. I looks like he's broken his toe. I gently poked him to get him to move and his toe seemed to bend backwards. I don't know how this might have happened, his been doing so well for ages. I don't handle him. He's in the tank with one other male. Might it be his fault? All the conditions in the tank have been fine, maybe the temperature has risen recently due to hot weather. Is there anything I can do?? The rest of his leg seems fine, it's just his toe.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Poorly grey tree frog

UPDATE: So both of his back legs seemed to be paralysed now. he's in a hospital tank. Ive looked up what might have caused leg paralysis and MDB was a big one. However, he's always eaten crickets dusted with calcium. He's also always had a UVB light. I highly doubt it's that.

Another theory was a gut impaction pressing against the spine. He's a little bloated right now but has pooped since he's been in his hospital tank. However, he has eaten some larger crickets recently. I usually give him the smaller sized crickets but last week the shop had ran out. I've given him a few dechlorinated warm water baths with honey to be safe.

There are also infections, like Chytridiomycosis or a parasitic nematode. It is a natural, bioactive tank. So foreign, unsterilised matter has been put int the tank. I really hope this is not the case because he his brother is still living in the original tank. I haven't seen any mineral deposits made by the frogs but.. I don't know what id do if they were infected.

His eyes still look bright, and he's breathing ok. There's loose skin around his feet but I did just see him trying to shed in the hospital tank. But he can't move them at all. This all happened seemingly overnight and i'm very stressed out so any advise would be very appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Those are all good guesses. Sadly I can't diagnose for you, but if soil from the outside was put in it might be nematodes. If he seems to have patchy skin, or incomplete shedding it might be chytrid or some similar fungal disease.
    I'll be honest that it doesn't sound good. If there is a vet that would be willing to see a frog in your area, that would be the best option. Or you could look into anti-fungal treatments. However, those are likely to cause the frog some stress and if the frog isn't suffering from a fungal infection, would do more harm than good.

5. This member thanks elly for this post:

Rom

Thank you, i'll try and take him to the vet but yeah it doesn't look good. One more question though.. what should I do with the brother he was living with? Should i take him out the tank too? take him to the vet? He's healthy and happy right now seeing as he won't stop croaking. But his brother became ill in a matter of hours so i don't know anymore

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'd be concerned about the other frog since they were sharing the same environment. Knowing what the first frog has will help you figure out what to do, whether to test the healthy frog. Or you might want to bring it along and try to save the trip to the vet.

I had this happen a couple of years ago to Jazz, one of my Cope's Gray Treefrogs. At the time, he wasn't even quite a year old. It started out exactly as yours seems to have, with one foot suddenly going limp and then growing progressively worse. I took him to a vet, and the first guess was trauma of some sort, but he couldn't find anything in an x-ray. He grew progressively worse, with his other hind leg paralyzing next, and then it spreading to his front legs. Even with the vet's help, we could never figure out the source of the problem, and he sadly passed a couple of months later.

I'm not trying to dampen your spirits, but hearing about it happen to another GTF in apparently the exact same manner means it might be an infrequent condition endemic to the species, but perhaps not well enough researched/known that every exotic vet may be aware of it. The good news is that you might happen upon a vet that has the information mine and I lacked.

I sincerely hope things turn around for him.

By-the-by, Jazz was in a terrarium with 5 of his brothers, and none of the others ever showed any signs of the same condition, so maybe, if nothing else, that will help ease your mind a bit, though erring on the side of caution is always best.

9. 2 members thank Hyla Sapiens for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hyla Sapiens View Post
    I had this happen a couple of years ago to Jazz, one of my Cope's Gray Treefrogs. At the time, he wasn't even quite a year old. It started out exactly as yours seems to have, with one foot suddenly going limp and then growing progressively worse. I took him to a vet, and the first guess was trauma of some sort, but he couldn't find anything in an x-ray. He grew progressively worse, with his other hind leg paralyzing next, and then it spreading to his front legs. Even with the vet's help, we could never figure out the source of the problem, and he sadly passed a couple of months later.

I'm not trying to dampen your spirits, but hearing about it happen to another GTF in apparently the exact same manner means it might be an infrequent condition endemic to the species, but perhaps not well enough researched/known that every exotic vet may be aware of it. The good news is that you might happen upon a vet that has the information mine and I lacked.

I sincerely hope things turn around for him.

By-the-by, Jazz was in a terrarium with 5 of his brothers, and none of the others ever showed any signs of the same condition, so maybe, if nothing else, that will help ease your mind a bit, though erring on the side of caution is always best.
    Thank you for the help everyone, but he did pass away. He showed the exact same symptoms as yours. The vet said said there was nothing she could do. I keep him for another week after but he just got more paralysed. It was a hard decision but in the end I had him put down. There is good news though. It's been a few weeks and his brother is happy and loud as ever. Whatever he had, I don't think it was contagious. The brother is content in his make-shift critter keeper. As for the original tank, i'm too scared to use it again. It'll probably be just a planted tank from now on.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry about your frog, but thank you for the follow up. I'm sure the tank would be alright if it was cleaned, but if you're not comfortable that's fine.

Thread Information