Thread: Just found a massive centipede in my tank

Angry Just found a massive centipede in my tank

Yeah, Just saw they guy walking around on the background. Wasn't really comfortable about picking him up directly so i went to get the tongs. He was gone by the time I got back of course. I have a big, heavily planted, bioactive tank that i'm trying to cycle. No idea when I might see him again. I'm annoyed because centipedes are carnivores right? He's going round, eating my clean up crew right?? Should I try and find him and get rid of him? or is he a good addition to the ecosystem. Like, he's really big for an english centipede - probably the length of finger. Hopefully whatever inhabitants I get will eat him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Just found a massive centipede in my tank

Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    Yeah, Just saw they guy walking around on the background. Wasn't really comfortable about picking him up directly so i went to get the tongs. He was gone by the time I got back of course. I have a big, heavily planted, bioactive tank that i'm trying to cycle. No idea when I might see him again. I'm annoyed because centipedes are carnivores right? He's going round, eating my clean up crew right?? Should I try and find him and get rid of him? or is he a good addition to the ecosystem. Like, he's really big for an english centipede - probably the length of finger. Hopefully whatever inhabitants I get will eat him.
    Where did you get your substrate and did you use any non-sterilized live plants? Anything that's not cultivated for terrarium use will have more than just centipedes to worry about. Fungus, bacteria and other dangerous things exist on objects not sterilized and grown in a controlled environment.

He is most certainly eating the isopods and springtails, but I don't know that he will wipe out an entire culture on his own. You might want to research the species and see if it will survive the temps in your tank. I would worry about it potentially biting one of your tank inhabitants since centipedes have venom. If its not suited for high temps, then it will likely not have a full lifespan and you will be rid of the problem in a few months. However if you see him...definitely catch him and put him back outside. =)

Thread Information