Thread: Worried about my white's tree frogs

Default Worried about my white's tree frogs

Hi, I'm not completely certain if I'm posting this correctly, but I am very worried about my two juvenile white's tree frogs. I am completely new to frogs.

I have two juvenile white's tree frogs that were purchased about 4 weeks ago just before Christmas. They seemed to be fine, however I feel like they aren't eating. They always seem to be in the corner of the tank and don't seem to get onto the ground. When I first got them, they seemed to be very active and attempted to eat. Now, they don't seem to be eating the crickets anymore. I've tried dangling a cricket in front of one of them, but he did not eat it.

They seem to take on a brown-ish colour, and their underbelly is a light red / pink. They also seem to be very thin for a white's.

The tank is usually at a temperature of 70 - 81 degrees celsius. I have a heating lamp which is usually kept on one side which they enjoy being under. I mist their tank regularly.

Name:  tweek.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  109.1 KBName:  tank.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  128.8 KBName:  aa.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  163.5 KB
    Last edited by noodlebread; January 12th, 2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: adding images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Worried about my white's tree frogs

I'm having the same problem but with my golden tree frog. He doesn't seem to eat much either. How often does your frogs eat?
    They have very slow metabolisms so they don't usually eat very often like every 3 days.
    Smile

I'm not completely sure how often they eat, I usually put a few crickets in there every 5 days and by the end of those 5 days most of the crickets seem to be gone, I'm just worried because I never actually see them eating, so I'm not sure if they are.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

If you can't see the crickets then he's most likely eating. They're active in the night which means they will tend to eat at night,
    hence why you won't see him eat. I've never seen mine eat because of this but I know he's eating because I wake up to missing crickets. I'm sure he's fine. Just keep a close eye on him and the crickets.
    Smile

wen my whites were babies it took them a little while to adjust to eating so i would give it time. they are skinny for sure though, and i would recommend attempted to hand feed more often. not being on the ground is totally normal, and frogs as well as other animals as you probably know like to make themselves a "spot", so being in he corner is okay! one of mine spends almost all the time on the same leaf, while the other always climbs his stick. if you want to try something else as a food item, mine prefer dubia roaches! not only are they so much easier as they don't jump or die off, they sometimes seem to entice the little guys more! hope this helps��

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I've found crickets are surprisingly good at hiding in tanks. You can try using a tall, smooth bowl with steep sides to put the crickets in. That way you can tell if any are missing. Also are the crickets the right size for the frogs to eat? Roughly the length from eyeball to eyeball would be a good size. Juveniles should probably be fed more frequently than adults too.

You might want to cover part or all of the tank to help the frogs get calmer and adjust.

Thread Information