Thread: Getting enough food?

Jace

Default Getting enough food?

I am having a real hard time getting Poe, my American Bullfrog froglet, to eat. I have him in a 10 gallon aquarium with approximately 2" of water and a floating turtle dock and plants. I toss in pinhead crickets, but most of them drown before he can get to them. Today, I fed him in an icecream bucket, but he was in panic mode and squished most of them. Just wondering if maybe pinhead crickets are too small for him and if I should find something bigger? He is just over an inch and a half long but he has a very large mouth. I included a picture to show his size in relation to the crickets I have been feeding him.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Getting enough food?

I wouldn't keep him semi aquatic at that age. I'd keep him fully terrestrial. At this age they are programmed to disperse from their pond of origin and seek pastures new. It's only as the get older than the return to ponds - young bullfrogs that hang around water sources obviously have a death wish because the adults are waiting to eat them.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jace

Oh-I did not know that! Maybe that is why he keeps hiding under the turtle dock. I will switch him out today, then. Should he still have a water dish, or are frequent mistings a better way to go? Thanks John!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

No harm in having a water dish .
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jace

Okay-for the second time in one day, I cleaned and did Poe's tank. Poor frog is going to be stressed out for the rest of the day! I included some pics; a water dish is currently being sanitized and not yet in the enclosure.

Now-what is the best way to feed him? And are pinheads the way to go or should I try two week old crickets? Some of those can be quite small and may be easier for him to hunt.....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Paul Rust

Calm down dear!
    Just keep crickets in the enclosure for him/her and it will eat them when it is ready. I know you think the baby is helpless but it really doesn't need much from you.

Jace

Lol-think I am overworrying Paul?? You are probably right. Sigh. I think I do better with larger frogs. I apparently don't trust Mother Nature though she is a pro at this kind of thing. Okay, okay....after I found him buried in moss, I dumped some crickets in and I will leave him alone and try not to fuss too much. That is asking a lot of me, you know that, right???

Paul Rust

Yes Jo, I know it is impossible for you not to fuss over your frogs. You need to be more confident, you are one of the most capable keepers here!
    If you feel you have a lot of crickets hiding in the moss just spray the enclosure heavily and they will come out in the open.

Jace

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Note to self: breath, relax, observe and enjoy. Got it!

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! Note to self: breath, relax, observe and enjoy. Got it!
    Hey now! I was talking about frogs!

Jace

So was I!! What were YOU thinking about??? Hehehe-thanks, I needed the laugh!

Thread Information