Thread: Amazon Milky Death

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Amazon Milky Death

I've had two amazon milky's in a 18x18x24 enclosure. I was using 13watt 5.0 compact uvb, which I recently upgraded to the 26 watt for a second one. A light for plants I got from the biodude that is great. Got terra flora substrate and other mosses from the bio dude. Their water dish is a natural seed pod. good amount of plants and decaying matter with isopods and springs tails. My two guess's of death are the heat? or mites. I found some mites on the very quickly eaten apart frog. Concerning traits would be, skinny and not growing(I thought I wasn't feeding enough but that really is not the case at all), lethargic the past up to a week(not sleeping on top leaves during the day), and they really didn't want to leave the water area, one guy(the survivor) would stay submerged. They get two heavy mistings. Two weeks ago they were up every night and up on leaves during day. They were patting each other on the head last night almost seemingly like one of was letting them know if they weren't ok So lethargic, skinny, not growing, and not sleeping on leaves(only past week), and the mites that were on dead body..I cannot see any at all in tank(SOO many spring tails). At this point I'm leaning more towards the heat not being high enough lately..I made sure the coldest part was never below 68-69 at night, and if it was that temp i was turning on the heat in the room. I thought the top near the lights would be perfect temps for them but maybe it just wasn't enough. prolly around 74-79 the past week. It got much colder outside so that could have effected them. Ill attach some pics of the frog and the enclosure. I actually put the frog back in the enclosure to see if I can fish some mites on it. I put the other frog in another tank. Got heat on him with the uvb, jus a vine and some substrate and crickets and fat water dish. He really perked up, got out of the water after soakn and is perched up on the edge of dish looking well.

The tank was ripped apart a bit after the whole dilemma happened*
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Amazon Milky Death

So there were a light red group of mites on the frog real quick putting it back in tank. At this point, what is the more likely way of death. The temperature factor(it being too cold) or the mites? I have no idea how couldn't get mites in a tank. And if they are the problem, that sucks because thats like my whole set up to the trash. I would think this is actually more of a temperature thing and maybe not enough uvb perhaps in the crucial young stage? Not enough heat led to starvation? thoughts??

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I don't know what the red mites might be but springtails shouldn't have hurt the frogs. I don't think the temperatures would have been low enough on their own to kill the frogs (though I have to go check temps for Milkies specifically). The temps might have stressed the frogs, though and made them vulnerable to disease. Since they weren't growing I'd also suspect parasites. Or it could be fungus considering the other frog's excessive soaking. It's hard to know really. I suggest taking the survivor to a vet that sees exotic animals, if possible.

Other questions that might help: How's the humidity in the tank? Do you supplement calcium and what kind of water have you been using?

4. This member thanks elly for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    I don't know what the red mites might be but springtails shouldn't have hurt the frogs. I don't think the temperatures would have been low enough on their own to kill the frogs (though I have to go check temps for Milkies specifically). The temps might have stressed the frogs, though and made them vulnerable to disease. Since they weren't growing I'd also suspect parasites. Or it could be fungus considering the other frog's excessive soaking. It's hard to know really. I suggest taking the survivor to a vet that sees exotic animals, if possible.

Other questions that might help: How's the humidity in the tank? Do you supplement calcium and what kind of water have you been using?

Is there any quick remedy at all for fungus/parasites. Because you are definitely correct as I see my other just look so much worse this morning, looking like he doesn't have much time at all. What would Cause parasites? what would cause fungus?. Damnt I'm about to lose the other...

Whatever the fungus or parasite is, it acts fast when it kills. Last night his body looked fine and now his legs, just like the other, are SUPER skinny and jus float in the water. any ideas what that would be?

The humidity is at least around 70% when it drops. I used filtered water from machines outside at grocery stores what not. I do use supplements on food, a multivitamin and a calcium

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Always be careful about water. I only use water from water bottles or water I put dechlorinator in. I know you said it was filtered, but I would still be careful.

9. This member thanks Animallover3541 for this post:

Thread Information