Thread: Handling?

Default Handling and lighting

1) I know you aren't supposed to handle these guys for long periods of time, but just out of curiosity do any of you guys handle your pacman frogs? If so do you use gloves or your bare hands??

2) As for lighting, I've read that it's good to have a "light cycle" where you put your light source on during the day and switch it off at night, but do the frogs actually like the light? Mine always takes cover when I turn the light on and hides under one of the pieces of wood. Is it better to just keep the light off?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Handling and lighting

Hi, no frog should really be handled unless its needed. Frogs are usually look but don't touch pets. For the lighting yes even though they tend to bury when the lights come on you should have a 12 hour day and night cycle.

4. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by ceratophyrys View Post
    1) I know you aren't supposed to handle these guys for long periods of time, but just out of curiosity do any of you guys handle your pacman frogs? If so do you use gloves or your bare hands??

2) As for lighting, I've read that it's good to have a "light cycle" where you put your light source on during the day and switch it off at night, but do the frogs actually like the light? Mine always takes cover when I turn the light on and hides under one of the pieces of wood. Is it better to just keep the light off?
    Handle with gloves when necessary. Unpowdered nitril or neoprene rubber gloves.

6. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I have learned that one of the keys to success with amphibian keeping is to not handle them.
    If it becomes absolutely necessary, I do so with clean, wet hands.
    Regarding lighting- they have no use for bright lights. Unless you are trying to grow plants, ambient room lighting is usually sufficient. However, some keepers feel that UVB lighting may be beneficial to Ceratophrys.

8. This member thanks Herpin Man for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I usually have a clean glass jar to herd them into in the event of cage cleaning or something. I rarely handle them directly except when medical care is required. I probably should use gloves, but thus far it's been so rare that I just wash my hands really well and wet them with bottled water before handling.

I don't use UVB, it doesn't seem like it's necessary as long as you're supplementing properly. I've only had one case of ill health without it, but in that case it was partially due to a picky eater that wasn't getting proper vitamins. (If you're wondering why, the frog would spit out feeders that were coated in vitamin powder.)

10. This member thanks hisk for this post:

Thread Information