Thread: What is the best low maintenance frog/toad you could own?

Default What is the best low maintenance frog/toad you could own?

I'm pretty new here, and I have owned (and bred) some frogs/geckos in the past, but at the moment I do not own any reptiles or amphibians, I had to sell them all because of travelling issues. I am looking for a low maintenance frog because I've started to miss breeding/taking care of a frog, and I need to fill up a big empty space in my room because I've run out of figures to put in my room.

So this begs the question: Which frog should I get? I don't breed leopard geckos anymore because I lost interest, and right now I am not looking to breed. I am only looking for 1 frog, preferably a female. And it can't be big, big frogs mean more money spent on food. Can anyone recommend a low maintenance, medium sized frog? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What is the best low maintenance frog/toad you could own?

Hi! I think I can help you narrow it down. I would recommend some type of burrower. A toad(a species from Anaxyrus such as the American Toad would be good) would be pretty comfortable in a 20g long tank, 30 being better. I have 2 Woodhouse's toads. I spend maybe 5$ a week feeding them. You could also get a chubby frog or a tomato frog, but my advice on then is limited since I havent kept them yet. I think one of either would be fine in a 10g long tank. I've been thinking of getting one of each myself.
    You dont always get to see burrowers since they often remain under the dirt, but most require less space than true frogs and many treefrogs, and fit the 'medium' size you mentioned. Pacman frogs are option, but are on the large size of medium or even the low side of large. An adult can live comfortably in a 10g long. You're probably familiar with them. They have pretty big appetites, so one of the others might be better.
    For the most part caring for most burrowing frogs pretty simple, spot clean/remove poop like for any frog, switch the coco fiber or other similar substrate out every two weeks or less, maintain humidity and temp, and feed them. Since you've kept frogs before you'll probably find caring for one of them pretty easy. Personally I would opt for a tomato frog. I think they look cute.
    Depending on the amount of space you want to use, White's Treefrogs are often recommended, and theyre nice frogs, hardier than RETFs, for example. They can get as big as 4 inches.
    I hope this helps, good luck finding a new frog. I dont know exactly what you feel medium is, so I tried to have a bit of variety in sizes. If you're looking for something on the smaller end around I can add some more ideas.
    Edit: wow that's long...sorry about that.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

4. This member thanks daybr4ke for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Another thing to consider if you want low maintenance is takeing the time to build and establish a nice Viv. This way you don't have to do substrate changes and stuff unless your frog becomes ill with something that would require you to have to tear it all down. All you would have to do is trim some plants every once in awhile and if a water change is required do the change, And of course feed them. A 25% water change and trimming a few plants takes way less time then a whole terrarium cleaning. And most treefrogs prefer real plants over fake, and if you were to get dart frogs this is pretty much the only way to successfully keep them I'm pretty sure. And some darts are pretty bold so the viv and frogs could make a nice show peace for the house if you wanted to put them somewhere people can see them. Even for the tomatoe frog I believe you could make a viv, I follow a guy on Instagram named the Frog Keeper and I'm pretty sure his tomato frog enclosure was a viv. And I know you only want one frog but darts are neat to watch interact with each other and all they eat is fruitflies and you can cultivate them yourself pretty easy. Or as mentioned above a whites treefrog would be a good choice, another frog with a whole lot of personality. I know darts are pretty small but they are pretty low maintenance frog I believe, and the colours are so nice.

Thanks guys! Your recommendations were really helpful, I will definitely do my research on tomato frogs! They seem easy enough to care for and really cute!

Thread Information