Thread: Identification

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Identification

Hey all! I've recently gained interest in pacman frogs and bought my first one about a month ago. I absolutely love it so far but am a beginner nonetheless who is just trying to learn everything I can about pacman frogs. I'm wondering whether my frog is an ornate or cranwelli? Also, can anyone tell me the morph? Thanks in advance! Any further information or tips would also be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Identification

Its just a normal Cranwelli, no special morph. Congrats on he new frog. Keep his temps around 82f - 83f and let it drop some at night, keep his humidity around the 75% mark. Clean out his substrate at least once a month, and make sure to dust his food with calcium with D3 and multivitamins. Don't do both vitamins on the same day unless its a brand that has it all in one is meant to be given at the same time like Repashy Calcium Plus. Make sure to change his water daily, and use declorinated tap water.

4. 2 members thank monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I have not been able to get his tank above 80f. I have him in a 10 gallon tank right now with a 50w heating lamp and it stays around 76f, is that okay or does it absolutely need to be 82f-83f? Another thing I just remembered is that I've seen a lot of talk on the forums about "impacting your frog" but I cannot for the life of me find a definition of what is, can anyone explain what that is and how to prevent it?

Nationality
    [Canada]

It should really be around the low 80's, the temps you are keeping him at now can lead to serious health problems. And they need the heat to help with there metabolism. If you haven't already you can cover 1/2 to 2/3 of the top of the tank with saran wrap or tinfoil and this will trap the heat in. Impaction is when he cant go to the bathroom due to constipation or from something obstructing his intestine. How to prevent would be to keep him on the proper substrate, tong feed him so he cant ingest a bunch of substrate in case he misses the first time and make sure you appropriate size feeders.

7. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for all the info! I went out today and bought a small space heater for the room that my frog is kept in. I also upgraded from 50w bulb to 75w and now have his thermometer steady at 82f. Keeping his humidity right is still kinda tricky but I imagine keeping it on point will come naturally as I gain experience. When I went to buy my 75w bulb they had a new shipment that just came in today and I snagged this little guy. He was labeled as "albino ornate horned frog" but I feel that the label was wrong. Regardless I love his coloring and eyes, I couldn't pass him up! What do you think of him?

Nationality
    [Canada]

He is nice looking, I believe it’s the same as my albino which is a lime albino. And it’s not ornate it’s a Cranwelli, yes they were wrong. Cranwelli is the only one they have albino morphs in. The 75 watt may be a little to much, the highest bulb you should use is 60 watt. And with the space heater it may end up makeing it to hot. They have very sensitive skin and can dry out pretty fast. And remember for the albino to not put a bright light over him, a ceramic heat emitter is better and you can use a very dim led for lighting. Even if you kept the light on in the room that would be good enough as long as it lights up his enclosure enough.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have the space heater set on 70f because I figured combined with the heat lamp it would bump the temperature up just enough. I've had this current setup going for about 5-ish hours now and both their thermometers are reading 82f-84f while their hydrometers read roughly 71% but I will keep monitoring them. As far as the albino goes I was told that an infrared heat bulb would work best (which I already had at home) so I have a 75w infrared bulb clamp lamp (which is ceramic) on his tank and I just adjusted the lamps position so that it's not shining directly down on him. I most likely will turn the space heater temperature down because I don't want them to dry out, I just wanted them to be warm enough but thank you for the insight! Should I alter the albino's setup in any way?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya the infrared bulb will work, I always forget about those. I would personally bump the space heater up to 75 and use a 60 watt bulb but that decision is up to you. You could set the albino up the same way heat and humidity wise just not the same lighting. And again if you haven't covered any of the top it honestly works like a charm, and it really helps keep humidity up and the substrate from drying so fast. And I don't know if you were told or if your doing it but a drop in temps at night by a few degrees is good for them and is very appreciated, this way they have time to cool off and this triggers there feeding. you want to have 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night. If they were not captive and in the nature the temp would drop at night and when it drops and it becomes dark this is when they come out from there burrows to eat, they are nocturnal predators. You can do this by getting a dimmer and you can regulate the temps that way, or you can get a thermostat that has a day and night setting. One more thing for heating is its good to have the lamp off to one side of the enclosure and have a few degree temp difference, this way they can thermoregulate there own body temps during the day if they become to warm or vice versa. Hope this helps you out a bit.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm going to try everything you've suggested, thanks for all the input and help!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Congrats on the new frog! He's really cute, I think he looks like a lime, too. These frogs are mislabeled frequently. Sometimes they're just labeled "pacman frog" lol. I'd add some advice, but Monster has you covered on everything! Good luck with your new frog!
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]

You are covered.

Word of advice when needing an ID. Rinse the frog off or post a picture immediately after the frog has shed. Ample lighting helps as well.

Nationality
    [United States]

I will post cleaner pictures for y'all when I get off work. I had just read about frogs super sensitive skin and was worried about washing away any essential oils they need but if you say it's okay then I'll go for it because I really want y'all to see them in their glory.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by sn714 View Post
    I will post cleaner pictures for y'all when I get off work. I had just read about frogs super sensitive skin and was worried about washing away any essential oils they need but if you say it's okay then I'll go for it because I really want y'all to see them in their glory.
    They do not secrete oils. Mucus from mucous glands and antimicrobial toxins from granular glands in the skin. No worries about rinsing them off. Just place the frog in its water dish and pour a small amount or treated water over its back.

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright! Here they both are fully bathed. Now that they're coloring can be seen clearly are they definitely a regular cranwelli/lime albino cranwelli?

Nationality
    [United States]

Also, the albino is a tad more yellow than he appears in the picture but he definitely has some green undertones.

Nationality
    [Canada]

They are both Cranwelli, and I still think the albino is a lime. They are both nice looking frogs.

Thread Information