Thread: How often to feed my toad worms?

Default How often to feed my toad worms?

I know earthworms are good for toads, but I think they're considered a treat, right? So how often can I feed them to my toad? Am I allowed to give them every day, a couple times a week, once every week, etc...? Would it even be possible to use them as a staple food (although I'm simply wondering this)?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: How often to feed my toad worms?

Hi, I don’t own toads but I own some PacMan frogs and if your thinking nightcrawlers yes you could use them as a staple. They are very good for your toad, better then crickets. This is what I use as a staple for my guys now that there not babies. It’s things like hornworms, butter worms and wax worms etc that are more a treat. You should give your toads other things to eat besides the nightcrawlers but yes they can be the staple of there diet. Silkworms and Phoenix worms are good as treats and contain a lot of protein so there good to throw in there every once in awhile.

4. This member thanks monster for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I would feed them several times a week, as much as the toad will eat. Earthworms are a great staple for toads, but avoid red wigglers. They exude a bad tasting liquid, that some keepers have found to be toxic.

How can you tell the difference between red wigglers and earthworms? I've been searching up pictures and how to tell, but the images all look very similar, and I feel that I might get them confused. (Sorry, this is my first time with a toad, and I should have researched more)

I generally find that the chain pet stores don’t sell earthworms, only red wigglers... which my toads tried once and then NEVER again! One of the toads actually runs away from worms now because she hated it so much. She has wiggler PTSD!

You should be able to find earthworms from bait shops or pet stores that specialize in reptiles. Sometimes they’re called nightcrwalers, as well.

Nationality
    [United States]

I've been dusting superworms for my toads. It's pretty much their staple right now. I usually alternate between these and large dubia roaches but my supplier has been running low on roaches so hence the extra helping of worms.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Herpin Man View Post
    I would feed them several times a week, as much as the toad will eat. Earthworms are a great staple for toads, but avoid red wigglers. They exude a bad tasting liquid, that some keepers have found to be toxic.
    This is controversial because red wrigglers can be eaten if the toad accepts them. I've had about 6 toads eat them moderately and the ones that accept them never have been sick. They eat a variety but I think that is the question to feed a variety to the toad. If the toad will consume these worms that's half the battle. I am interested in the keepers who found toxins as to what species of frog or toad they found this with?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thread Information