Thread: Normal Melanogaster Flies colonizing my Flightless Hydei Cultures

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Normal Melanogaster Flies colonizing my Flightless Hydei Cultures

The first one I assumed was a fluke. After a while, I went to feed my PCFs. When I opened the tube and began tapping it to knock the Hydei into my dusting deli cup immediately fully functional melanogaster flies swarmed out. Today I noticed Melanogaster Maggots in my Hydei tube. I dont know how, but theyre getting in and outperforming the larger flies in reproduction, rendering the cultures pretty useless. Only thing I can think to do is freeze the culture then add more flightless flies from another tube. Any ideas on how theyre making it in(its probably as simple as a fly or two flying in when I open it) and what to do about it would be great. The first tube functioned for quite a while bfore being invaded, but the tube I just bought was colonized much faster.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Normal Melanogaster Flies colonizing my Flightless Hydei Cultures

What kind of containers do you keep them in and what kind of ventilation is there? I've had melos breed with fully flighted fruitflies through the itty bitty vent holes before, definitely not a pleasant surprise! I took it outside and tried to release all the fliers and continued to feed from it. Not only did it keep producing fliers, but they were also mixed in with the ones I was feeding. If it had only happened once, I'd say maybe they flew in when you were feeding. But for it to happen again, I think there must be a small enough gap somewhere for them to get in. How snug is the tube?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I've been buying Superior Fruit Flies brand, from two different stores. I've been thinking about making my own cultures, but since I only feed them to one type of frog, it doesn't seem worth it. Its probably just a coincidence, as long as it doesnt keep happening. I've bought them often enough, and it hasn't happened before. I took some pics.

1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Hmm interesting, I've never heard of that! If you did get supplies to make them yourself, you could mix a smaller than recommended amount of media at a time since you don't need a ton of flies.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Not only did it keep producing fliers, but they were also mixed in with the ones I was feeding.

------------------

Thread Information