Thread: Bufo alvarius / Ollotis alvaria (same thing)

ricebowl

Default Bufo alvarius / Ollotis alvaria (same thing)

So does anyone keep these guys? Also I've seen a lot available on kingsnake but I've heard there are legal issues with them. Does anybody know if they are legal? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default re: Bufo alvarius / Ollotis alvaria (same thing)

I have a bunch of photos of these guys and some good info on them too. I need to get around to posting it. They are great captives - real lazy but cute toad. Legally, the way it works is that you can collect them in Arizona but you can't export them from the state. In the other two states where they are found (New Mexico and California) they are protected from collection. I suppose the key is to find captive bred specimens (they do exist) or those that have been legally exported from their home states. Sadly I know for a fact that there are toads in circulation that are just being sold by Joe Collector in Arizona. What can you do though? Oh and it's against the law to possess the venom from these toads (they're that toad). So don't milk the venom from the toad - to anyone surfing in from google looking for this species for that reason, this is a pet frog site, so leave now please.

Kurt

I have one. I don't know if I would call him cute, as this toad is my biggest amphibian. He is awesome! Not as colourful as some of my other frogs, but he is much bigger and he definitely makes a decent "conversation piece." He lives in a 30 gallon tank in my living room.

I read somewhere that Colorado River toads have the fastest strike of any Anuran. I remember reading it while looking for information on a salamander I had, Bolitoglossa dofleini. The article I read, stated that the giant palm salamander, B. dofleini had the fastest strike of any Caudatan. I forget which of these two species it said was the overall fastest.

I wanted to get this guy a buddy, but the next time I saw some for sale they were considerably more expensive and half his size, so I passed on them.

Kurt

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I must admit that I've been put off purchasing any because of the prices. If it was guaranteed to be captive bred I'd consider such a price but for a wild-caught, most certainly parasite-containing toad, $80-$100 a pop is far too much.

Kurt

I paid $85 for mine last spring. In October, the same dealer was selling much smaller ones for $125. I saw two for sale and one of them was under weight. After wondering around the show, I came back and he managed to sell the healthier looking one. I generally get good stuff from this guy.

Kurt

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Here's the thread you've all been looking for: http://www.frogforum.net/bufo-toads/...sert-toad.html
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

I saw a pair for sale tonight on kingsnake.com for $200. A little bit rich for my blood. Though I think mine could use a buddy.

Thread Information