Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albino pacman not eating, help please.

Unhappy Albino pacman not eating, help please.

Hello ladies and gentleman, thanks in advance for your help.
    I really need it.
    1. Size of enclosure - 50cm*20cm*30cm (little bit less than 10 gallon)
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences - 1 (just the pacman)
    3. Humidity - 80/85 rarely 90 (would 90 be fine? Or is it too much?)
    4. Temperature - 27.5C during day, 24.5 at night
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish - bottled water, 1/2 days catching air.
    6. Materials used for substrate - Ecoearth
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - Fake plant, don't even know the kind, sorry
    8. Main food source - None so far;
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) - I've both, wasn't able to feed him yet, i've reptivite without D3 and repticalcium without D3.
    10. Lighting - LED 9-11H day
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - Ceramic lamp, thermostast and dimmer
    12. When is the last time he/she ate - 1.5 Weeks ago
    13. Have you found poop lately - Yes, the day before yesterday when i gave him "hot"(31C) bath with honey.
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) Will post later, sorry don't have one in hand
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. - i noticed a small lump on the right side, which got away when he pooped.
    16. How old is the frog - I'd guess he has just lost his tail.
    17. How long have you owned him/her - 2 Weeks
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred - Captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats -> I tried crickets so far. Smaller and bigger
    20. How often the frog is handled. - Quite a lot, but i try to not handle hit, i've put him on honey bath two times
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - Medium i would say, in my room, i try to not mess with him too much.
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) -> water bowl every day, spot cleaning(none so far, just on the honey bath once), and eco earth still the first one, changing it next week.

So guys, i'm new to the forum and i actually need your help, my frog has not been eating lately and i'm worrying now.
    I've bought him 2 weeks ago, i gave him one cricket 3 days after he arrived and he has eaten it. He did not eat the two first day(i thought it was normal since i believed he has eaten in the store).
    he is a baby i believe he has just lost his tail, i've had him for two weeks almost now and when he arrived he had still some tail left i believe. So between the first cricket and now he has not eaten at all, and i'm worrying... I'm planing on getting some European Nightcrawlers to see if he eats it.
    I've seen that he didn't pooped so far, so two days ago i've putted him in a honey bath, and he did a big one, (almost two weeks without) but still not eating.
    I've tapped a tropical poster in the background of the terrarium and he surely seems more relaxed since that. Maybe the glass was messing with him.
    Now he burries a lot more, and he uses his hiding spots ( a half brick on one side, and a plant on the other, being the bowl on the middle, the ceramic light is to the right side where the plant is)
    I'm offering him food twice a day in tweezers, sometimes close to his mouth, sometimes touching it, sometimes i leave the cricket walking(without the hopping legs) in the terrarium for a bit and then take it out, and he doesn't want to eat, nothing works...
    He doesn't seem to have lost weight so far. But i'm worrying cause it's been a little while.
    He's a Cranwelli albino and he's my first frog(and first amphibian/reptile), can someone help me find out what am I doing wrong??
    I've read something about plastic containers and etc being better, should i put him in only water without substrate or something? Should i keep making him take the honey bath for some more days, since i've to touch him to put him in the bath i don't want to stress him out to much?? I did it yesterday and the day before, today i stopped since he has pooped, and it seems that the right side lump is gone... What should i do? The terrarium now is only visible in the front sliding doors, the background and top are a background plastic photo of plants and rocks(he seemed more happy when i put that in place to be frank, and he moved a lot more).
    I don't want Pixie(his/her name is Pixie) to die, please help me understand what is happening.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Albino pacman not eating, help please.

Sorry for the double post, PS: I even thought that he can be blind, but on a second thought he moves arround just fine to burrow himself or to hide in the plants, i dont know if this is plausible or not.

Member needs to set country!

I read something online about how they don't eat anything after absorbing their tails because they're getting what they need from it. Maybe a more experienced keeper can verify this or not. Another reason could be the size of his enclosure. They can get stressed having so much open space around them, I've seen others on here recommend those little plastic critter containers for babies for this reason. You could try putting him in one of those with substrate, water, and a little foliage (real or fake) for him to hide in. Hopefully someone else can hop in and be more helpful than me, but I would try that and keep offering food for now. If he continues to refuse a few more weeks, you may want to consider taking him to a vet because I've read a lot of cases where frogs not eating have metabolic bone disease from not getting enough calcium.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi! Often the problem is just stress. Covering the back and sides is recommended, and you already took care of that. Having a smaller enclosure can help. Another user, Monster, has talked about using a divider in 10 gallon tanks to limit their space so that buying multiple enclosures is unnecessary, an idea I really liked. He could tell you more than I. Sometimes you can convince them them to eat by dragging the food across their toes, under their mouth. Often it takes some time for these frogs to relax and feel comfortable in a new enclosure, and at this point you may have to simply give the frog a little more time. You can try an electrolyte bath, but I'm not sure It's necessary yet(an electrolyte bath is a bath in treated warm 27-28c water mixed with unflavored Pedialyte at a ratio of 10 parts water 1 part Pedialyte.). Monster or another user may have more to add, as well.
    On another note, you will need calcium +Vitamin d3 powder. Calcium is necessary, but without vitamin d3 it isn't metabolized. I'll add anything else if I think if it. Good luck!
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

6. 2 members thank daybr4ke for this post:

Thanks for the advice Bryce, i'll check to put some plywood walls inside the terrarium to make the space smaller, i'm going to get some nightcrawlers today to see if he eats them, and i'll get reptivite with D3 instead, i really hope he eats, cause it's been a while....
    About the pedialyte i'm not sure if i can find it in Europe, i'm going to check.
    Thank you so much and i'll keep you guys posted.

Okay, so went to the store here in Paris, so i've got reptivite with D3, a mini faunarium, either for crickets or to put the frog, don't know yet, and some European Nightcrawlers, i'll try again tonght and keep you updated, thanks.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, if your going to divide the tank I would just use a fish tank divider or a piece of a plastic. Wood may mold due to the high humidity. For your humidity no 90% is not good, its to high and if kept like that the frog could get respiratory problems and with the heat and humidity being that high you could start to grow bacteria in your tank. Try to keep your humidity around 75%, this way when you mist it wont go a lot higher then 80% for to long. You could also let your heat go up to around 83F and this may help a little and let it drop down to around 78F to 77F at night. For the handling if you have been picking him up a lot like you mentioned this is stressing him out a lot, you have to try and leave him be. Stress is one of the number one killers in amphibians, it lowers there immune system and this causes them to get sick. When your feeding try to feed him at night about a half hour to an hour after his lights go out, this is when they eat in the wild. The temp drop and darkness triggers there feeding. For your lighting you say 9-11 hours, it cant vary like that he needs a constant 12 hours day and 12 hours night, if its not the same all the time it will confuse him and stress him out. I know that sounds crazy because its just a frog but they are like clock work, they need the same routine. If the humidity, heat and lighting aren't constantly the same or the heat and humidity are to high or to low it can cause them to estivate. And as a baby you don't want this to happen because he more then likely will not make it out of it, even with adults if things aren't done perfect before estivation it can kill them. The water even though its bottled I would add some reptisafe or a similar product just in case to remove anything that could be harm full to the frog, some bottled water contains fluoride and other things still even though its bottled. I noticed you said you covered the back with a back ground, maybe try covering the 2 sides also. Try these things and the things mentioned above and I'm sure your little guy should start to eat soon.

10. 2 members thank monster for this post:

Thanks Monster, for the water i just added reptisafe, i believe that i put too much drops, would that be a problem? For the 12h lightning is impossible for me as i work a lot, so i bought a night and day Thermostat with lightning. Still not arrive, for the moment it is impossible for me to keep him at steady lightining as you said, what should i do? No light at all? For the humidity its at 80 right now, when i change him i'll make sure to leave it at 75, thank you pall.
    The sides and the back are covered, sorry for not being specific

Update:
    Pixie is still not eating, tried with some nightcrawllers and nothing. I did crickets in the morning, and nightcrawllers after lights out and nothing. I've passed it on his paws too, and nothing.
    Whats the possibility of him being blind? How can i tell?
    I'm afraid he might die it's been a while since he ate, should i force feed him once or something?

Nationality
    [Canada]

If you cant do nothing about the lighting till your thermostat with lighting comes in then I guess the frog will just have to wait. Out of all honesty I wouldn't try feeding during the day and just wait till night when they normally eat, its just added stress. From the sounds of it I think hes just really stressed out from all the interaction the last 2 weeks, they really need a couple days of quiet and no interaction to settle. Once you have all the husbandry right if hes still not eating then there could be a underlying illness or something and he may need a vet. When you feed him do use tongs or do you just let the crickets run around? If your doing tongs maybe wait till its really dark and just put the crickets in leave the room for abit and maybe he will catch and eat a couple of them, sometimes when they are small the tongs really freak them out. Have you divided the tank yet in half? If not this may help to, if he was in something small before you got him the extra space may be making him feel vulnerable and he doesn't want to move or do anything because hes scared.

14. This member thanks monster for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    If you cant do nothing about the lighting till your thermostat with lighting comes in then I guess the frog will just have to wait. Out of all honesty I wouldn't try feeding during the day and just wait till night when they normally eat, its just added stress. From the sounds of it I think hes just really stressed out from all the interaction the last 2 weeks, they really need a couple days of quiet and no interaction to settle. Once you have all the husbandry right if hes still not eating then there could be a underlying illness or something and he may need a vet. When you feed him do use tongs or do you just let the crickets run around? If your doing tongs maybe wait till its really dark and just put the crickets in leave the room for abit and maybe he will catch and eat a couple of them, sometimes when they are small the tongs really freak them out. Have you divided the tank yet in half? If not this may help to, if he was in something small before you got him the extra space may be making him feel vulnerable and he doesn't want to move or do anything because hes scared.
    Thanks again for your answer Monster, i will devise it first thing in the morning, i'll leave it at around 30x20cms instead of 50cmsx20cms, i'll only leave the plant and the bowl, he seems to like more the plant to hide than the hut does this sounds good?
    yes he was in a little transparent box with water at the store and they had a normal very bright light above, which i found to be stupid and i really hope there was no UVB in that, then i'll leave him untouched for two days or so then retry the crickets. I already did both, tweezers and letting them running around for the night, but even without back legs they hide in the plant and everything and the frog doesnt even try, they all were still there the next day. The only one he ate was with tweezers, almost two weeks ago.
    Anyway for the lights, i bought a old fashioned analogic timer(the ones that turns and usually are robust) which i'm going to receive tomorrow throught amazon prime, so i'm trying to fix my little frog for now.
    Also, my Thermostat (the one working now) has the probe around 5cms higher than the frog, not touching the glass and arround 20cms frog the ceramic lamp, which is dimmed to around 25w, i don't know if this is the correct way, normally under the lamp to the right side is 28degrees C and it drops to around 27.5 to the corner in the right. The left corner always is arround 25.8° (where the hygrometer is) Should i bump this numbers on the left side up, or is this fine being the cold side? The water bowl is in the middle.
    I believe that my hygrometer is way off too. Sometimes it says 99%, which is impossible, then it goes back to 80%, might be when i spray it. It is also arround 5cms higher than the frog, should i put it higher or is it fine? Anyway this part doesn't worry me, i know that the coco fiber should be moist but not wet.
    And really, thank you very much for answering Monster, you're helping me a lot in this hard beggining.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I don't measure in cm's but you want it to be about 1 inch to 1/2 inch above the substrate and the same as the hygrometer. Having a cool side is good because it lets him regulate his body temps from hot to cold. If he backs up from your hand or the tweezers his vision should be good because this would indicate he see's it, and your right that the lights shouldn't be to bright. I would wait till tomorrow when its divided and everything is good and see how he does, it could really be the going from something small to something big. I know your worried but I would maybe just leave him till tomorrow and give him a night off from being interacted with or even just try feeding for a couple minutes if you cant resist.

17. This member thanks monster for this post:

I don't measure in cm's but you want it to be about 1 inch to 1/2 inch above the substrate and the same as the hygrometer. Having a cool side is good because it lets him regulate his body temps from hot to cold. If he backs up from your hand or the tweezers his vision should be good because this would indicate he see's it, and your right that the lights shouldn't be to bright. I would wait till tomorrow when its divided and everything is good and see how he does, it could really be the going from something small to something big. I know your worried but I would maybe just leave him till tomorrow and give him a night off from being interacted with or even just try feeding for a couple minutes if you cant resist.
    Thanks again for your answer, so got the analogic timer in place with a 2w led and a soft difuser so it isnt too bright. Cycle is from 8 to 8pm, Instead of divising the terrarium i actually emptied it and put a little box inside, with the 4 sides covered with some A4 paper and i put the plant and the water bowl. Frog is now in a 28x18cms container, which is half of the terrarium, he hasn't a lot of space to move but he seems more relaxed. I'm going to wait for tomorrow to feed him. Thanks again for the replies monster.
    Name:  2017-09-26 19.37.35.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  2.34 MB
    Name:  IMG_20170926_194052.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  2.53 MB
    Does it seems good for you guys?

Nationality
    [Canada]

That's perfect, it may seem like he doesn't have a lot of room but he will be ok. If you wanted you could give him a smaller water dish but it really isn't needed, everything he needs is just a hop away. A lot of people do it this way also till they grow into there bigger tank.

20. 2 members thank monster for this post:

Smile Re: Albino pacman not eating, help please.

Thanks again Monster, okay setup is good for now then, i'll give him tonight alone and tomorrow night will try to feed him and leave the crickets in there a bit to see how it goes. Thanks for the support, i hope he eats now cause he's needing
    I'll keep you posted about the eating and growing part i'll give you some news tomorrow.
    I've seen a lot of people who take the pacman frogs into a faunarium so they can eat and put them back in the enclosure later, is this a good idea or should i feed him as i do in his own enclosure?
    Last edited by froghub; September 26th, 2017 at 04:24 PM.

Godmorning guys!!!!
    Guess who has just eated a cricket!
    He's eating, he started running after them!!!
    He just got one but i'm happy now! He has another two to run after in the terrarium!
    Thank you so much!

23. 2 members thank froghub for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Glad to hear he ate something.

25. This member thanks monster for this post:

Cool Re: Albino pacman not eating, help please.

Glad to hear he ate something.
    Yeah, thanks again for the tips Monster, i'm glad too.
    Today he was burrowing under the substrat so i left him alone, tomorrow i'll feed him again and i'm pretty sure he'll hunt the crickets!
    After all he ate two yesterday, with some multuvitamins on it, so its already cool
    Name:  IMG_20170927_140815.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  3.51 MB
    Thats yesterday after eating, he looks good and fatter now (thats a piece of carrot to keep the crickets there, it's already gone)

give him more nutrition.

Quote Originally Posted by todds4toads View Post
    give him more nutrition.
    Hello todds, thanks for your reply, what do you mean exactly?
    I'm giving him multivitamins and calcium, as for the diet he's only on crickets for now, he doesn't like nightcrawlers, i've already tried it, and i'll give him some pinkies when he's bigger. I believe he's stil too small for pinkies, what else would you recomend instead of crickets as staple diet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information